Software to calculate detection probability for simple cases

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a computer program that can calculate detection probabilities for particles in simple problems. The program should allow users to specify the number of detectors and particle sources, as well as the complex amplitude of the wave for each source and detector. It should also have features such as specifying shapes and areas for the detectors, displaying a graphical representation of the problem and its solution, and the ability to run the same problem multiple times with randomized outputs. The conversation also mentions the availability of "Quantum Toolbox for Python" as a possible solution, but the speaker is still looking for a program that is more user-friendly for educational purposes.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
I would like to find a computer program that will calculate the detection probabilities for particles in simple problems. For example, the user might specify that there are three detectors and two particle sources. We specify the complex amplitude of the wave FROM each source TO each detector. We specify whether the particles are distinguishable, whether they are fermions or bosons, and so on. The program would then output the probabilities of finding n particles at the mth detector for each m, n.Other features that would be really nice:
[1] Specifying simple shapes and areas for the detectors, and specifying how the complex amplitude varies over the surface
[2] Some sort of graphic representation of the problem and its solution
[3] A button to run the same problem again and again, showing randomized outputs that are statistically consistent with the defined problem -- including, say, coincident detections between different detectors.Is there something like this available as freeware / shareware / online applet / library code ?

Thanks,
S T

Last edited:
Thank, Greg. I did find "Quantum Toolbox for Python" at http://qutip.org. However, this program (actually, a set of tools for Python like it says on the tin) is a bit daunting to one with my level of knowledge and understanding. Using this for my simple cases may be like using a shovel as a flyswatter, so I am still looking out for something more suitable for educational contexts.

Related to Software to calculate detection probability for simple cases

1. How does the software calculate detection probability for simple cases?

The software uses mathematical algorithms and input data to determine the likelihood of detecting a certain event or object in a given scenario.

2. What types of simple cases can the software be used for?

The software can be used for a variety of simple cases, such as detecting objects in a static environment, tracking moving objects, or identifying patterns in data.

3. Is the software user-friendly for non-scientists?

While the software is primarily designed for scientists, it has a user-friendly interface and can be easily used by those with basic computer skills.

4. Can the software be customized for specific scenarios?

Yes, the software can be customized by inputting specific parameters and data to reflect the unique characteristics of a particular scenario.

5. How accurate is the detection probability calculated by the software?

The accuracy of the detection probability depends on the quality of the input data and the complexity of the scenario. The software uses advanced algorithms to provide the most accurate results possible.