Soil Mechanics: Relationship between pH of seawater and sand

In summary, there might be a relationship between the pH of seawater and some properties of the sand at the beach. According to some research, a lower pH solution increases soil particle bonding stress and thus increases tensile strength.
mjichael
Is there any relationship between the pH of seawater and any properties of the sand at the beach? If so, what/ why/ how?

Context: I am writing a report for my Soil Mechanics course, for which we analysed some sand we collected at the beach, as well as some seawater. One of the key properties to measure - as suggested by both lecturer and lab tutors - was the pH of the seawater, which leads me to believe there might be some relationship.

I am aware that the pH of soil affects what kind of plants can grow, but this is a soil mechanics subject, not agriculture (i.e. we also have to find the angle of repose, suction, shear strength, etc...). So why bother with the pH of seawater?

I have tried finding relevant material in the textbook for the course [Soil Mechanics and Foundations, Buhdu] but have been unsuccessful. Furthermore, my attempts at online research have lead me as far as finding the best soil pH to grow crops.

Any insights will be very much appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Good morning mjichael, welcome to physics forums.

Please clarify: by soils mechanics do you mean engineering properties for structural purposes or do you mean soil science as in agriculture?

I am not aware of any relation between sand and pH from a formation of sand point of view.

From the point of structural engineering point of view there is a soil type called sabkha which forms in certain tropical high salinity seas such as the Red Sea.
There is a weak chemical link between salinity and pH.
Sabkha has interesting propeties.

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sa=X...gc.r_pw.&fp=a12593077bd7289e&biw=1024&bih=585

A forum search will show that both the Sabkha and the relationship between pH and salinity has been discussed here before.

go well

I am indeed referring to the sand's engineering properties for structural purposes.

I didn't think there was going to be a relationship, but I thought I better ask!

Thanks for your reply, I will be sure to check out sabkha :)

Did you, for instance, repeat this exercise near a beach formed from calcareous rock and ask why is there no find grained beach material equivalent to sand grains?

No we only did it once, and to my knowledge there was no calcareous rock nearby. I think that is probably beyond the scope of my course anyway, given it is just an introduction.

mjichael said:
Is there any relationship between the pH of seawater and any properties of the sand at the beach? If so, what/ why/ how?

Context: I am writing a report for my Soil Mechanics course, for which we analysed some sand we collected at the beach, as well as some seawater. One of the key properties to measure - as suggested by both lecturer and lab tutors - was the pH of the seawater, which leads me to believe there might be some relationship.

I am aware that the pH of soil affects what kind of plants can grow, but this is a soil mechanics subject, not agriculture (i.e. we also have to find the angle of repose, suction, shear strength, etc...). So why bother with the pH of seawater?

I have tried finding relevant material in the textbook for the course [Soil Mechanics and Foundations, Buhdu] but have been unsuccessful. Furthermore, my attempts at online research have lead me as far as finding the best soil pH to grow crops.

Any insights will be very much appreciated!

Some research has shown that the pH of the solution can effect the tensile strength for some sand soil combinations. Apparently a lower pH solution increases soil particle bonding stress and thus increases tensile strength.

Check out: http://www.deepdyve.com/lp/springer...of-contaminated-and-compacted-sand-noOE0MPPsl

CS

1. What is the relationship between the pH of seawater and sand in soil mechanics?

The pH of seawater can affect the properties of sand in soil mechanics. As seawater is a source of ions, it can change the chemical composition of sand and alter its pH. The change in pH can then impact the behavior and stability of the soil.

2. How does the pH of seawater affect the strength of sand in soil mechanics?

The pH of seawater can impact the strength of sand in soil mechanics through the process of ion exchange. This process can cause the sand particles to become more tightly packed, increasing its strength. However, extreme changes in pH can also lead to the dissolution of minerals in sand, weakening its strength.

3. Can the pH of seawater affect the permeability of sand in soil mechanics?

Yes, the pH of seawater can affect the permeability of sand in soil mechanics. As the pH changes, the chemical composition of the sand can also change, altering its porosity and permeability. This can impact the flow of water through the soil and affect its stability.

4. Is there an ideal pH range for seawater in soil mechanics?

There is no specific ideal pH range for seawater in soil mechanics. The impact of seawater on sand properties depends on various factors such as the composition of the sand, the concentration of ions in the seawater, and the duration of exposure. However, a neutral pH (around 7) is generally considered to have a minimal impact on the properties of sand.

5. How can the pH of seawater be controlled in soil mechanics?

To control the pH of seawater in soil mechanics, various methods can be used such as adding buffering agents or adjusting the chemical composition of the soil. Additionally, proper management and monitoring of seawater exposure can also help in controlling the pH and minimizing its impact on the soil properties.