Relationship between soil suction and angle of repose

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between angle of repose and various factors, such as soil suction, particle size distribution, electrical conductivity of water, and shear strength. The speaker mentions conducting experiments and measurements to test these relationships and asks for help understanding how angle of repose is related to each factor. They also mention the difference between cohesionless soils and those with cohesion and the role of void ratio in affecting the angle of repose.
ausineng
I am writing a report for my civil engineering subject. and i have few questions.

is there any relationship between angle of repose and total soil suction.
is there any relationship between angle of repose and particle size distribution.
is there any relationship between angle of repose and electrical conductivity of water.
is there any relationship between angle of repose and shear strength.

i have tried looking online, but i haven't found anything solid to include in the report.
please help.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums, ausineng.

Civil Engineering is an intensely practical subject. Have you done any experiments/made any measurements to test any of these relationships?

Any civ eng course will not have left you totally adrift to answer these questions ( which are pretty fundamental) so what is your basis to proceed on?

hello
thanks for the reply.
the tests we have done are shear test, compression test, total suction test, electrical conductivity of water, ph test of water, sieving analysis, density measurement, gravimetric water content, and angle of repose.

i actually need to know how angle of repose is related to each one of the tests.

thanks

Presumabably you have been told the difference between granular or cohesionless soils and those with cohesion?

The angle of repose is related to the shear in the material as is is the angle of the failure plane.

If ff is a failure plane at angle [itex]\varphi[/itex] to the horizontal then the stresses on that plane are related as follows

[itex]\tau[/itex]ff = c + [itex]\sigma[/itex]fftan([itex]\varphi[/itex])

Obviously for cohesionless soils, c = 0.

Normally a tau v sigma plot is a straight(ish) line with slope given by tan([itex]\varphi[/itex]).

This plot is called the Mohr envelope.

You will have noticed that phi is affected by void ratio.

go well

I can provide some insights on the relationship between soil suction and angle of repose. The angle of repose is the maximum angle at which a pile of granular material can be stable without collapsing. Soil suction, on the other hand, is the force of attraction between soil particles and water.

There is a relationship between soil suction and angle of repose, as soil suction can affect the stability and strength of soil particles. Higher soil suction can increase the internal friction between particles, making it more resistant to movement or collapse. This can result in a steeper angle of repose.

The angle of repose can also be influenced by particle size distribution. Smaller particles tend to have a lower angle of repose compared to larger particles, as they have a higher surface area and can easily slide past each other. In contrast, larger particles have a higher angle of repose due to their weight and ability to interlock with each other.

The electrical conductivity of water can also play a role in the angle of repose. Water with a higher electrical conductivity can increase soil suction, leading to a higher angle of repose. This is because the ions in the water can attract and bind to soil particles, increasing their stability.

Lastly, there is a relationship between angle of repose and shear strength. The angle of repose is a good indicator of the shear strength of soil, as it represents the maximum angle at which soil particles can resist shear stress before failure. A higher angle of repose indicates a higher shear strength of the soil.

I understand that you have had difficulties finding solid information online. I would suggest consulting with your professor or a civil engineering expert for more specific and detailed information for your report. Additionally, conducting experiments or simulations can also provide valuable data to support your findings. I hope this helps. Good luck with your report!

What is soil suction and how does it affect the angle of repose?

Soil suction is a measure of the force that holds water within soil particles. It is influenced by factors such as soil texture, moisture content, and compaction. This force plays a significant role in determining the angle of repose, which is the steepest angle at which a pile of granular material remains stable.

How does the angle of repose change with varying levels of soil suction?

The angle of repose typically increases with higher levels of soil suction. This is because as the soil particles become more tightly bound together due to increased suction, they are able to support a steeper pile without collapsing. Conversely, lower levels of soil suction can lead to a lower angle of repose as the soil particles are more loosely packed and prone to sliding.

What are some factors that can affect the relationship between soil suction and angle of repose?

Aside from the properties of the soil itself, external factors such as applied loads, slope stability, and water content can also influence the relationship between soil suction and angle of repose. For example, a heavy load on top of a pile of soil can increase soil suction and therefore the angle of repose, while a high water content can decrease both.

Can the relationship between soil suction and angle of repose be accurately predicted?

While there are models and equations that attempt to predict this relationship, it is difficult to accurately predict due to the complex and variable nature of soil. Factors such as soil structure, particle shape, and compaction can all affect the relationship and may be difficult to quantify.

How does an understanding of the relationship between soil suction and angle of repose benefit engineers and construction projects?

An understanding of this relationship is crucial for engineers and construction projects as it can help them determine the stability of slopes and embankments, design retaining walls, and predict the behavior of granular materials. It can also aid in preventing potential hazards and failures that may arise from unstable soil conditions.