Solar AC for Car: How Many Panels Needed?

In summary: I am planning to work on a small project wherein I can power up a small inverter which in turn would start a fan/ac in my car. I am just confused on how many solar panels I would need to accomplish this project. solar panel output is 4V -100 ma and the inverter specs are 100W power rating and input is 12V. I think I would need around 1000 these small panels. Can anyone please confirm this?
ironman_marvel
Hi,

This is my first post here. I am planning to work on small project for my car, wherein I could power up a small inverter which would in turn start a fan / ac in my car.

I am just confused on how many panels I would need to accomplish this project.

solar panel output 4V -100 ma

inverter specs

power rating 100W

input 12V

I think I would need around 1000 this small panels. can anyone please confirm this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
ironman_marvel said:
Hi,This is my first post here. I am planning to work on small project for my car, wherein I could power up a small inverter which would in turn start a fan / ac in my car.

I am just confused on how many panels I would need to accomplish this project.

solar panel output 4V -100 mainverter specs

power rating 100W

input 12V
I think I would need around 1000 this small panels. can anyone please confirm this?

Welcome to the PF.

The usual problem with placing a big enough array on top of your car to effectively cool it is that the array will be valuable enough to be stolen. Where are you planning on parking your car?

I am planning for something that can be detached/attached as and when required. Just want an idea for proper number of solar panels. Or any other idea to use solar power to provide power for ac

ironman_marvel said:
I am planning for something that can be detached/attached as and when required. Just want an idea for proper number of solar panels. Or any other idea to use solar power to provide power for ac

But if you detach it when you leave the car alone, it will be very hot when you return...

(Can you tell that I recently went through this math with someone else...?)

Last edited:
ironman marvel, Welcome to Physics Forums!

You may use power to get some idea of the size of the solar panel necessary. Power is measured in watts. Power (in watts) = Current (in amps) X Voltage (in volts).

1. Solar panel power output = 0.1 amps X 4.0 volts = 0.4 watts (in full sun)
2. Inverter capacity (full load) = 100 watts. Assuming you’d want the ability to draw full load (maximum power) with your loads (fans?), and inverters are typically only around 80% efficient, you’d need to apply roughly 130 watts to the input of the inverter to get 100 watts out.
3. How many 0.4 watt solar panels do you need to equal 140 watts? Perhaps 350 panels!

Why are you trying to drive AC loads? There are lots of fans that operate on 12 VDC and every other imaginable electrical appliance used in RVs, trailers, etc. can operate on 12 VDC.

Why bother using an inverter at all? I suggest you consider using 12 VDC appliances and solar panels to recharge the 12 VDC system.

Cheers, Bobbywhy

Hi guys,

Thanks for your inputs

1. How does a solar AC for car work?

A solar AC for car works by using solar panels to collect energy from the sun. This energy is then stored in a battery and used to power the air conditioning system in the car.

2. How many solar panels are needed for a solar AC for car?

The number of solar panels needed for a solar AC for car depends on the size and efficiency of the panels, as well as the power requirements of the AC system. On average, a car-sized solar AC system may require 2-4 solar panels.

3. Can a solar AC for car work on cloudy days?

Yes, a solar AC for car can still work on cloudy days. While the panels may not be able to collect as much energy as on a sunny day, they can still generate enough power to run the AC system.

4. How long does it take to charge the battery for a solar AC for car?

The time it takes to charge the battery for a solar AC for car depends on the size of the battery and the amount of sunlight available. On average, it can take 2-3 hours to fully charge the battery.

5. Is a solar AC for car worth the investment?

This ultimately depends on the individual's needs and usage. A solar AC for car can save on fuel costs and reduce carbon emissions, but it may have a higher upfront cost. It is important to consider the long-term benefits and usage before making the investment.