Solar across multiple roofs

In summary, it sounds like it would be a good idea to connect the solar panels to a charge controller and then use multiple inverters to distribute the power to the various buildings.
Envergure
I'm designing an off-grid system with solar panels on six different roofs spread out over about a hectare. There is also a generator on the site for backup and when the solar isn't enough. I need all the solar panels to feed one main distribution panel. What are my options?

I've considered connecting all the panels together and feeding one charge controller, but I'm concerned about shading due to the different roof locations. I've considered connecting several charge controllers to a central battery bank, but this requires a lot of very heavy, 48 VDC lines to be laid all over the site.

I've considered using multiple inverters in several ways. (1) Microinverters. Unfortunately, I gather they don't work well off-grid. (2) One inverter per building. Trouble is, I don't know how to parallel them. (3) One "dumb" inverter and five grid-tie inverters that will (hopefully) sync to it properly. I have a hunch this won't work since I think grid-tie inverters are designed based on the assumption that the grid is much more powerful than the inverter.

Thanks for your advice. This is my first design as an electrical EIT and I'm a little out of my depth.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Envergure said:
I'm designing an off-grid system with solar panels on six different roofs spread out over about a hectare. There is also a generator on the site for backup and when the solar isn't enough. I need all the solar panels to feed one main distribution panel. What are my options?

I've considered connecting all the panels together and feeding one charge controller, but I'm concerned about shading due to the different roof locations. I've considered connecting several charge controllers to a central battery bank, but this requires a lot of very heavy, 48 VDC lines to be laid all over the site.

I've considered using multiple inverters in several ways. (1) Microinverters. Unfortunately, I gather they don't work well off-grid. (2) One inverter per building. Trouble is, I don't know how to parallel them. (3) One "dumb" inverter and five grid-tie inverters that will (hopefully) sync to it properly. I have a hunch this won't work since I think grid-tie inverters are designed based on the assumption that the grid is much more powerful than the inverter.

Thanks for your advice. This is my first design as an electrical EIT and I'm a little out of my depth.

Sounds like an application where HVDC would be the best way to tie them together...

Envergure said:

I would start with the manuals for whatever inverters you are considering. I expect that they will address the issues you mention, and they will provide recommendations and wiring diagrams.

You may have enough panels to consitute some real safety problems if they are not connected properly. That is another good reason to follow the controller/inverter manufacturer's advice.

Good luck. Maybe you can post back here again with your conclusions.

1. What is the concept of "Solar across multiple roofs"?

The concept of "Solar across multiple roofs" refers to the installation of solar panels on multiple roofs of buildings or homes in order to generate electricity from the sun. This allows for a larger surface area for solar panels, potentially increasing the energy production and efficiency of the system.

2. What are the benefits of installing solar across multiple roofs?

The benefits of installing solar across multiple roofs include increased energy production, cost savings on electricity bills, and reduced carbon footprint. It also allows for flexibility in installation if one roof is not suitable for solar panels.

3. What are the challenges of implementing solar across multiple roofs?

The main challenges of implementing solar across multiple roofs include the need for proper planning and coordination between all roofs, potential shading from nearby buildings or trees, and the possibility of different roof materials requiring different installation methods.

4. How does the efficiency of solar panels on multiple roofs compare to a single roof installation?

The efficiency of solar panels on multiple roofs can vary depending on the specific installation and environmental factors. Generally, a single roof installation may be slightly more efficient due to a larger and more uniform surface area for the panels, but the difference may not be significant.

5. Are there any financial incentives for installing solar across multiple roofs?

Yes, there may be financial incentives available for installing solar across multiple roofs. These can include tax credits, rebates, and net metering programs that allow for selling excess energy back to the grid. It is important to research and consult with a professional to determine the available incentives in your area.