Solar lighting for remote yurt/cabin

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a solar-powered lighting system for two yurts used for winter recreation. The current lighting from white gas lanterns is not ideal due to the need to haul flammable liquids over 4 miles. The individual is considering using Harbor Freight's solar panels and gel battery, or lots of solar LED garden lights with an interior switch. However, due to the short days, overcast conditions, and poor solar radiation during winter at high latitudes, solar power may not be the best option. The suggestion of a wind generator or improving access for a quad bike is also brought up.
aranderson
Greetings-

Thanks for the opportunity for a biologist to glean some info on e. engineering. My wife and I are taking over two established yurts (16' D fabric-sided shelters) used primarily for winter recreation. Current lighting from white gas lanterns. Flammable liquids that need to be hauled in 4 miles on foot to a fabric shelter is bad.

I want a solar-powered lighting system that is inexpensive and reliable to 0 F for us and guests. Any suggestions? Currently I am considering Harbor Freight's cheap solar panels, gel battery, and led lights or simply lots of solar led garden lights with an interior switch.

Thanks for your time and this resource.

Cheers, Alex

Engineering news on Phys.org
The bad news is that solar power isn't likely to be much use.

Winter at high latitudes means that you will have problems of short days, overcast conditions and poor levels of solar radiation.

Winter may bring strong winds, though. Maybe you could look at a wind generator?

Failing that, could you improve the access to allow the use of a quad bike, or similar, to let you bring fuel in more conveniently?

Related to Solar lighting for remote yurt/cabin

1. How do solar lights work?

Solar lights use photovoltaic cells to convert sunlight into electricity. This electricity is then stored in batteries and used to power the lights at night. Some solar lights also have a built-in sensor that turns on the lights when it gets dark.

2. How many solar panels do I need for my yurt/cabin?

The number of solar panels needed depends on the size and usage of your yurt/cabin. As a general rule, you should calculate your daily energy consumption and multiply it by the number of days you want the system to run without sunlight. This will give you an estimate of the required solar panel capacity.

3. How long do solar lights last?

The lifespan of solar lights varies depending on the quality of the materials used and the amount of sunlight they receive. Generally, high-quality solar lights can last up to 10 years with proper maintenance.

4. Can solar lights be used in all weather conditions?

Solar lights are designed to work in most weather conditions, including cloudy and rainy days. However, if the solar panels are covered in snow or the area experiences extended periods of darkness, the lights may not work as efficiently.

5. Are there any maintenance requirements for solar lights?

Solar lights require minimal maintenance, but it is important to regularly clean the solar panels to maximize their efficiency. You should also check the batteries and connections periodically to ensure they are functioning properly.

Back