Is Solar Now More Affordable Than Coal?

• Thread starter Ai52487963
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coal Solar
In summary, this article discusses how nanoglobules have been found to increase absorptivity of photons, which then boosts power output. However, there are still some difficulties to be solved before this technology can be used in solar panels. For example, the cost and difficulty of interfacing with the grid.
Ai52487963
http://www.celsias.com/2007/11/23/nanosolars-breakthrough-technology-solar-now-cheaper-than-coal/

So says this company. I'm skeptical though, I don't have a decent background in electrical engineering or...well...anything outside of astrophysics really to tell if its worth it. Seems very promising though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When it sounds too good to be true...

Applying nanoglobules to thin-film photovoltaics was the subject of a recent article in Physics Today. It was apparently a decent breakthrough in increasing absorptivity of photons and boosting power. As I recall, it boosted the power by 19%. These folks are claiming a lot bigger boost than that. I want it to be true, but is it?

About once every 6 months, a company claims to have invented plastic solar cells. There is an Israeli company that is also not manufacturing them quite yet. :rolleyes:

Heck, even if they make the cells cheap, they still need gigantic, expensive inverters to make the power usable.

Last edited:
I wonder if the most efficent use is to have solar panels directly drive AC units on the same roof?
The demand for AC increases with the amount of sun (at least for office/residential)
You don't have to store / transmit the power.
AC compressors can be made to run just as easily on low voltage DC as 110v AC.

It seems a little to good to be true. I'd be skeptical...

I figured as much. Besides, isn't the main problem with solar just the storage part and not actually getting the energy in the first place?

Ai52487963 said:
I figured as much. Besides, isn't the main problem with solar just the storage part and not actually getting the energy in the first place?

That would be for "off the grid" houses who want to have night-time lights and television, etc. The batteries add a lot of cost and hassle. Intertying with the grid is a better way to go, since one would produce excess energy during the day (when the grid needs more), and your meter runs backward. Then you use grid energy at night, and your meter runs forward. No batteries required.

Related to Is Solar Now More Affordable Than Coal?

1. How is solar energy cheaper than coal?

Solar energy has become cheaper than coal due to significant advancements in technology and economies of scale. The cost of solar panels has decreased by more than 70% in the past decade, making it a more affordable option for energy production.

2. Is solar energy really cheaper in the long run?

Yes, solar energy is cheaper in the long run compared to coal. While the initial cost of setting up a solar energy system may be higher, the maintenance and operational costs are significantly lower. Additionally, solar energy does not have any fuel costs, unlike coal, which requires constant mining and transportation.

3. How does the efficiency of solar panels compare to coal?

The efficiency of solar panels has greatly improved in recent years, with some panels now able to convert more than 20% of sunlight into electricity. This is comparable to the efficiency of coal power plants, which typically have an efficiency of 30-40%. However, solar energy can be harnessed in a decentralized manner, meaning that it can be generated and used directly on-site, reducing transmission losses.

4. Are there any hidden costs associated with solar energy?

While solar energy may seem cheaper, there may be hidden costs associated with the installation and maintenance of solar panels. However, these costs are minimal compared to the long-term environmental and health costs associated with coal, such as air and water pollution. Additionally, the cost of solar energy is expected to continue decreasing as technology advances.

5. Will solar energy eventually replace coal?

It is difficult to predict the future, but it is likely that solar energy will play a significant role in our energy mix in the years to come. As the demand for clean and renewable energy sources increases, the use of coal is expected to decline. Additionally, many countries have set targets to transition to renewable energy sources, further driving the shift away from coal.