Solar Panel Project: Will it Work?

In summary, the conversation discusses a plan to build a solar-powered raspberry pi and camera system to automatically capture images of a construction site. The main components include a solar cell, raspberry pi zero W, power bank, voltage regulator, Arduino Nano, RTC module, and transistor. The goal is to keep the Arduino and RTC module on at all times and have the raspberry pi turn on at a specific time each day to take photos or videos. The conversation also mentions using a mobile phone with a solar charger and app for periodic photo saves. One suggestion is to use the RTC module to drive an interrupt and turn the raspberry pi on and off without an Arduino.
francistm
Hey!
So I'm building raspberry pi & camera powered buy a solar panel system to make a automatic timeline of a constructing site (It needs to work for about ~9months).
The rasp only needs to be on a few minutes a day to take a picture or really small video (max 1min). So this is my plan:

Hardware:
1x Solar Cell 6V 330mA
1x RaspBerry Pi Zero W (latest edition) + Camera
1x Normal SmartPhone Power Bank (Input: 5V 1000mA && Output: 5V 1000mA && 2600mAh)
1x Pololu 5V Step-Up/Step-Down Voltage Regulator S7V7F5
1x Arduino Nano
1x RTC Module
1x Transistor

My main goal is to maintain the Arduino with the RTC Module turned ON all the time and every day at, for example, 4PM it turns on the rasp and after 10minute it cuts off the rasp's power again via the transistor (the rasp will auto shutdown itself after the picture/video is taken). PS: All of this is powered by the power bank
The solar cell will always be connected to the voltage regulator and in turn, the voltage regulator will always be connected to the power bank.

Will this work? What would you improve?

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Providing that the available sunlight is sufficient to keep this setup functional I guess it should work.
Can't see anything wrong with the idea.

rootone said:
Providing that the available sunlight is sufficient to keep this setup functional I guess it should work.
Can't see anything wrong with the idea.
Thanks for your feedback!

I too think that it can work.

However, I would use a mobile phone with a solar charger/power bank, without a SIM//on plane mode.
There are apps for periodic photo save, and without any wireless connection the solar charger would be able to provide enough power, with decent margin for rainy days.

The arduino does not have a real time clock, if all you are using it for is to turn the Pi on and off, there is probably a better way, I assume the PI has some type of sleep mode and use the RTC to drive an interrupt.

Windadct said:
The arduino does not have a real time clock, if all you are using it for is to turn the Pi on and off, there is probably a better way, I assume the PI has some type of sleep mode and use the RTC to drive an interrupt.
Yes! That'd be perfect! to use the rtc as an direct on and off "switch" for rasp! But the thing is, how can I do it? Without an ardudino?

1. Can solar panels generate enough energy to power my entire home?

It depends on the size and efficiency of your solar panel system, as well as your energy usage. Generally, a typical household will need multiple solar panels to generate enough energy to power all of their appliances and devices.

2. How much sunlight does my location need to make a solar panel project viable?

The amount of sunlight needed varies depending on the type and efficiency of your solar panels. However, in general, areas with more sunlight will produce more energy from solar panels. It is important to consider the average amount of sunlight in your location when planning a solar panel project.

3. How long does it take for a solar panel project to pay for itself?

The payback period for a solar panel project can vary based on factors such as the cost of installation, the amount of energy produced, and the cost of electricity in your area. On average, it can take anywhere from 5-15 years for a solar panel project to pay for itself.

4. Are solar panels a reliable source of energy?

Yes, solar panels are a reliable source of energy. They have a lifespan of 25-30 years and require minimal maintenance. Additionally, most solar panel systems come with warranties to ensure their reliability.

5. How does a solar panel project impact the environment?

A solar panel project can have a positive impact on the environment. By using solar energy, there is a decrease in the use of fossil fuels, which reduces carbon emissions. Additionally, solar panels do not produce any harmful pollutants and do not contribute to air or water pollution.