Solar panels and optical parametric oscillator

In summary, the OPO doubles the frequency of a wave emitted by a laser, and can be used in solar panels to produce more electricity. However, the device requires a source of near-monochromatic, coherent light, which is not available from sunlight.
Domenico94
Hi everyone.
On these days, by watching solar panels and similar stuff, I just thought about it, and why they take such a wide surface to produce energy, and why their output is often low, as we all know.
By navigating here on the internet, I've just seen a device called OPO (Optical parametrical oscillator)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_parametric_oscillator , whose primary function is doubling the frequency of a wave, usually emitted by laser. In this device, if we say it briefly, a laser usually reaches the surface of this device: at this point, it hits a cristal, and two mirrors, that create the output of a higher frequency (usually double as the original frequency, if I'm correct).
My point is: physically, solar panels function according to the principle that photons emit light with a given frequency, say, f, and the energy associated with that frequency

E = hf

Makes the electrons on the surface of solar panels "escape", which in turn produces electric current. That means, the more frequency we have, maybe until a given point, the more energy and the more electricity we have.

Another consideration that I want to do is: the radiation of the sun, and the laser used to make the OPO function, have the same frequency, if I'm right. Means that the device should virtually work with light, provided we modify it in some way.

My question, is then: what would happen if we could use an optical parametric oscillator in our solar panels, in order to double the frequency associated with light in a solar panel, and then produce electricity with a surface that could be much less of the originary one? Would we have any problems about feasibilty, or costs?

Science news on Phys.org
Won't work. Sunlight is not a near-monochromatic, coherent source of light, which is what you need for this. Since the resonator portion only resonates at a single wavelength, all the energy in the frequencies that don't match the resonator will be lost.

Drakkith said:
Won't work. Sunlight is not a near-monochromatic, coherent source of light, which is what you need for this. Since the resonator portion only resonates at a single wavelength, all the energy in the frequencies that don't match the resonator will be lost.
Hi. First of all, thank you for your answer :)
Secondly, isn t there any system to filter the various freqiencies of light, in order to get the desired frequency?

Domenico94 said:
Hi. First of all, thank you for your answer :)
Secondly, isn t there any system to filter the various freqiencies of light, in order to get the desired frequency?
You could but you'd be throwing away the majority of the spectrum, losing the vast majority of the light before it even reaches your cell.

Filtering throws away light. You're moving in the wrong direction.

But this would work if we would be able to design the oscillator in such a way that it takes much less light, which is a bad cojdition, but would be theorically able to triplicate or quadruplicate its frequency, right?

Your invention is getting more magical with each post.

Lol alright ahahah

Vanadium 50 said:
Your invention is getting more magical with each post.
I understood now what you mean..I m sorry.
The oscillator can work with a single wavelength and a single frequency, with the result we can t take frequencies that are close to that one...I initially thought there could always be a small range of frequencies at which the device could resonate..

But if you filter those other frequencies, you lose their energy. Sorry - there is no free lunch.

Yes...That's obvious now...you can't have much energy only from a SINGLE frequency of light...I just didn't know this particular of the oscillator.. Thanks for your help anyway :)

1. What is the purpose of solar panels?

Solar panels are devices that convert sunlight into electricity. They consist of photovoltaic cells that absorb photons from the sun's rays and use them to generate an electric current.

2. How do solar panels work?

Solar panels work by utilizing the photovoltaic effect, where photons from sunlight knock electrons loose from atoms within the photovoltaic cells, creating a flow of electricity. This electricity can then be used to power homes and other devices.

3. What are the benefits of using solar panels?

Solar panels have many benefits, including reducing carbon emissions and dependence on fossil fuels, providing a renewable energy source, and potentially saving money on electricity bills. They also have a long lifespan and low maintenance requirements.

4. What is an optical parametric oscillator (OPO)?

An optical parametric oscillator is a device that generates coherent, tunable light through a process called parametric amplification. It uses an optical amplifier and a nonlinear crystal to produce a range of wavelengths of light that can be adjusted by changing the angle of the crystal.

5. How are solar panels and optical parametric oscillators related?

Solar panels and optical parametric oscillators are both technologies that utilize the properties of light. While solar panels convert sunlight into electricity, OPOs generate tunable light for various applications, including solar energy research and medical imaging. Both technologies have the potential to contribute to a more sustainable and advanced society.