What Major Is Best For My Future?

In summary: Electrical engineering is the best route for me because it has the most focus on efficiency and designing things to work well with other electronic equipment. Mechanical engineering is good for understanding how things work and for manufacturing. However the downside is that it doesnt seem to have as much focus on solar energy as electrical engineering. Civil engineering is the best route because it has the most focus on solving the bigger problems with solar energy. It doesnt matter if its public or private, as theres a lot of potential for solar energy in both sectors.
TMECLT
I know that when I get out of school I want to help develop solar roadways, bike paths, and parking lots. Potentially even help with the efficiency rate of solar panels. However, I'm currently a mechanical engineering student with a concentration in energy. The only way to get a concentration in energy is to go through mechanical engineering. I feel like ME will help me as far as the designing and manufacturing of future solar panels. BUT Electrical will help with the efficiency and true inner design and understanding of solar panels. and Civil will help with the whole roadway, bike path, parking lot problem. The question is, which one is the best route?

Physics news on Phys.org
That depends on how far you are into your mechanical engineering education, what your career goals are, and on what scale you wish to be involved with solar energy. The actual photovoltaic cells are something being worked on by electrical engineers (and probably physicists), but I'm not sure about whether or not mechanical engineers work on that. These involve some heavy amounts of physics from what I know.

Civil is the easy road. Electrical is the toughest. The income potential varies accordingly and the job market, at least in EE and ME is relatively robust. Civil is a litlle more dicey because so many jobs depend on public funding, which has not been robust. While you may not be focused on public sector jobs, a decline in employment in that sector increases competition for jobs in other sectors

axmls said:
That depends on how far you are into your mechanical engineering education, what your career goals are, and on what scale you wish to be involved with solar energy. The actual photovoltaic cells are something being worked on by electrical engineers (and probably physicists), but I'm not sure about whether or not mechanical engineers work on that. These involve some heavy amounts of physics from what I know.
Im in my first semester of mechanical engineering and all engineering majors at my university have identical first years unless you transfer in with credits. My career goals are to make solar roads/bike lanes happen basically. (I know there are people already working on it and making them) That seems a little broad but basically I want to work with finding new ways to incorporate solar panels into society.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a major for my future?

When choosing a major for your future, it is important to consider your interests, strengths, career goals, and job market demand. You should also think about the types of courses and skills you will acquire with the major, as well as the potential salary and job opportunities in your chosen field.

2. What are the most popular majors for future job prospects?

According to recent studies, the most popular majors for future job prospects include business, engineering, computer science, healthcare, and social sciences. These majors have a high demand in the current job market and offer a wide range of job opportunities in various industries.

3. How important is it to choose a major that aligns with my career goals?

It is essential to choose a major that aligns with your career goals as it will help you gain the necessary skills and knowledge for your desired job. A major that is related to your career goals will also increase your chances of getting hired and succeeding in your desired field.

4. Can I switch my major in the future if I change my career goals?

Yes, you can switch your major in the future if you change your career goals. Many universities and colleges allow students to change their major during their academic career. However, it is important to consider the consequences of switching majors, such as additional coursework and potential delays in graduation.

5. How can I determine which major is best for me?

Choosing the best major for you requires self-reflection and research. Start by considering your interests, skills, and career goals. Then, research the majors that align with your interests and goals. You can also talk to academic advisors, students, and professionals in your desired field for more insights. Additionally, you can take career assessment tests to help you narrow down your options.