Solid angle by placing one disk on a cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an analytical expression for the solid angle subtended by a disk source onto the face of a cylinder. The source is located at a distance of 5 cm from the cylinder and has a radius of 0.3 cm, while the cylinder has a radius of 2.5 cm. The solution for a point source is given and the idea of treating the extended source as a collection of point sources is suggested. The solution involves modifying the existing solution and integrating over the coordinates of the extended source.
Shams
Hello,

I am trying to find an analytical expression to determine the solid angle subtended by a disk source onto the face of the cylinder. I will appreciate if someone can provide me directions.

I am aware how to calculate solid angle by a point source to cylinder's face ( omega = 2*pi(1-cos(theta) ). In my case I have a source of radius 0.3 cm at 5 cm away from a cylinder with radius 2.5 cm. The source is on the cylinder axis.

Anyone has any idea of the right expression?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Shams and welcome to PF.

Is this like an extended disk-shaped radioactive source in front of a counter? Since you have the solution for a point source, consider the extended source as a collection of point sources. Assuming uniform distribution of source activity, find the contribution to the flux from a source of strength ##dS = S\frac{dA'}{\pi R^2} ## located at polar coordinates ##[r',\phi']## (##dA=r'dr'd\phi'##). Note that the source is off the axis of the cylinder so you need to modify the solution you already have. I hope it does not involve elliptic integrals. Anyway, once you have that answer, then you will need to integrate over the primed source coordinates.

What is solid angle?

Solid angle is a measure of the three-dimensional space that is enclosed by a given surface. It is typically measured in steradians (sr) and is used to describe the amount of space that is covered by an object as viewed from a specific point.

How is solid angle calculated?

The solid angle can be calculated by dividing the surface area of a given object by the square of its distance from the observer. This can be represented by the formula Ω = A/D^2, where Ω is the solid angle, A is the surface area, and D is the distance from the observer.

What is the significance of placing a disk on a cylinder when measuring solid angle?

Placing a disk on a cylinder allows for the calculation of solid angle in a specific direction. This is because the disk serves as a reference point for measuring the angle between the observer and the surface of the cylinder, which can then be used to calculate the solid angle.

What are some real-world applications of solid angle by placing one disk on a cylinder?

One application of solid angle by placing one disk on a cylinder is in optics, where it is used to calculate the amount of light that is received by a specific area. It is also used in astronomy to measure the brightness of celestial objects. Additionally, it is used in engineering and design to determine the coverage of a light source or the radiation pattern of an antenna.

Are there any limitations to using solid angle by placing one disk on a cylinder?

Yes, there are limitations to using solid angle by placing one disk on a cylinder. This method is only applicable for objects that have a circular cross-section, and it cannot be used for objects with irregular shapes. Additionally, it assumes that the observer is located at an infinite distance from the object, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.