Solid Helium: Why No Images? | Feynman Lectures Vol.1

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of solid helium at high pressures, the difficulty of finding images of it on Google, and the fact that it can only be produced in laboratory conditions. The conversation also includes some links to images and videos of solid helium and its transition phases.
tridianprime
I was not sure exactly where to put this but it involves images so I thought it was no too inappropriate here.

I was reading the Feynman Lectures Vol.1 and he says that Helium, although not solid at absolute zero normally, can be so in high pressures. I then googled this for images but none turned up. Why is this? Can it only be done in lab conditions? Is it only done in small amounts?

Thanks, it is just a light query but I am interested to know why.

Likes Vanadium50sAButtHead
Physics news on Phys.org
A few points.
  • Before asking us why something should be so, you should find out if it should be so.
  • The fact that you can't find something on Google in a few minutes does not mean it does not exist.
  • If you Google "Solid Helium" you get the image below, which is, not surprisingly, a picture of solid helium.
  • Of course it can only be produced in the lab. Where on Earth would you naturally find temperatures of 2K and pressures of 25 bar? And what difference does it make? Cameras work in the lab too.

F2.small.gif

As Vanadium 50 already pointed out, even in the zero temperature limit helium requires about 25 bar pressure to solidify. At room temperature the pressure is over 100 kbar. So we cannot observe solid helium outside laboratory conditions.

I've always liked these images of solid helium:

http://www.lps.ens.fr/~balibar/photo.crist.jpg

BTW photographing solid helium is not easy, since the difference in the refractive indices of solid and liquid He is quite small.

Here are some nice videos of growing solid He etc:

http://www.lps.ens.fr/~balibar/indexang.html#A few videos

In QuasiParticle's image: http://www.lps.ens.fr/~balibar/photo.crist.jpg, the Helium drop seems to solidify from 1.4K to 0.5K, but from 0.5 to 0.1k it appears to be fusing again.. not crystallising.. the one in the 0.5K picture appears to be a perfect crystal. Why this anomaly? Or am I observing it wrong?

All those "drops" are solid helium, surrounded by liquid He. As the temperature is lowered, solid He goes through various transitions in the crystal shape. It forms smooth surfaces, facets, with particular surface orientations.

Oh I get it now. Thanks.

Vanadium 50 said:
A few points.
  • Before asking us why something should be so, you should find out if it should be so.
  • The fact that you can't find something on Google in a few minutes does not mean it does not exist.
  • If you Google "Solid Helium" you get the image below, which is, not surprisingly, a picture of solid helium.
  • Of course it can only be produced in the lab. Where on Earth would you naturally find temperatures of 2K and pressures of 25 bar? And what difference does it make? Cameras work in the lab too.

F2.small.gif

Thanks for you response. I apologise for not being in depth in my post and for sounding naive. I will try to amend this in the future and bear your points in mind. I did find those images but I was wondering if there were any larger samples of solid helium, that sounds ridiculous sorry. In hindsight, the question was 'troubled' at best so I appreciate the tips. I was not exactly sure what I meant and I tried to explain it in the best way I could. All of your answers have clarified it though.

1. What is solid helium?

Solid helium is a phase of helium where the particles are arranged in a highly ordered crystalline structure. It occurs at extremely low temperatures, below 2.2 Kelvin.

2. What are the properties of solid helium?

Solid helium is a very unusual material with unique properties. It has a very low density, high thermal conductivity, and is a superfluid, meaning it can flow without any resistance.

3. Why are there no images of solid helium?

The main reason there are no images of solid helium is because it is extremely difficult to produce and maintain the necessary conditions for it to exist. It requires very low temperatures and high pressures, which are not easily achievable in traditional laboratory settings.

4. What did Richard Feynman say about solid helium in his lectures?

In his lectures, Feynman discussed the properties of solid helium and its unique behavior. He also discussed the challenges of studying this material and the potential applications of understanding its properties.

5. What is the current research on solid helium?

Scientists are still actively researching solid helium and trying to understand its properties and behavior. Some current areas of research include studying its superfluidity and using it as a model system for studying other materials at extremely low temperatures.