Solid state DC circuit breaker to protect a load

In summary, the Mosfet is an easily available circuit breaker that can be used to interrupt the circuit to protect the load from overvoltages. The resistor connected to the inductor is regarded as my load that i want to protect. Can you explain why you connected the op amp U1A in series with V9? What supplies the pulses of V7? The pulses of V7 are the overvoltages i am trying to protect my load from by interrupting the circuit via the mosfet. are you saying the Vs+ of the opamp shouldn't be connected in series with V9? it does need a power source, should it be in parallel
knowledgeseeki
My choice of solid state Dc circuit breaker is the Mosfet, easily available( i got loads!)
i want the mosfet to interrupt the circuit to protect the load from overvoltages
This is what I've done so far, please help its not working the way i want it to.

note to mods: i also put this question up in the general eng section, please remove from there if this is an infraction.

The resistor connected to the inductor is regarded as my load that i want to protect.

Attachments

• circuit1.pdf
    69.6 KB · Views: 321
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you explain why you connected the op amp U1A in series with V9?
What supplies the pulses of V7?

The pulses of V7 are the overvoltages i am trying to protect my load from by interrupting the circuit via the mosfet
are you saying the Vs+ of the opamp shouldn't be connected in series with V9?
it does need a power source, should it be in parallel

In order to make meaningful suggestions, I need to understand the circuit. What supplies the overvoltage pulses?

Without fully understanding the circuit I suggest disconnecting the V+ from V9- and connecting V9- to ground. Then I would connect the op amp V+ to V9+ and disconnect V9+ from everything else.

Why can't you connect the op amp V+ to V3+ and eliminate V9 altogether?

The circuit purpose is to protect the load. The mosfet is to turn off to interrupt current flow and on when the current has dropped down to a safe operating region.
The source of the overvoltage pulse is a lighting strike( but for purpose of testing i will simply a pulsed voltage supply)

Actually that circuit i posted previously is a lot wrong.

Does this circuit make more sense?

(the load i want to protect is the inductor resistor combination)

the differential amp, is used to control the on off time of the mosfet so that the mosfet can turn off interrputing the circuit thereby decreasing the current in the load, once the safe limit has been reached the mosfet is to turn back on.

Attachments

• circuit2.png
    circuit2.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 458
Yes, I like that circuit a lot more.

Actually skeptic2 i think the circuit i showed u is quite wrong at least for what i am trying to achieve.
i know the max current across my load is 2.3A ( source being 24 and impedance of load being 10.48)

however what i want to show is that the Overvoltage causes the current in the load to increase beyond 2.3A thereafter showing that the mosfet by switching off interrupts the circuit and allows the current in the load to dissipate and drop back down to 2.3A.

Attachments

• forum.png
    forum.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 441
  • graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 421
The pulse voltage supply i was talking about is just connecting a power source to a 555 timer and using the pulse signal from the timer to determine the comprator signal hence when the Mosfet turns on or off

1. What is a solid state DC circuit breaker?

A solid state DC circuit breaker is a type of electronic switch that is used to protect a load from excessive current flow by interrupting the circuit when necessary. It is typically made up of solid state components such as transistors, diodes, and resistors, rather than traditional mechanical components like in a traditional circuit breaker.

2. How does a solid state DC circuit breaker work?

A solid state DC circuit breaker works by constantly monitoring the current flow in a circuit. When the current exceeds a certain threshold, the breaker will use its solid state components to quickly and accurately interrupt the circuit, preventing any damage to the load.

3. What are the advantages of using a solid state DC circuit breaker?

Some advantages of using a solid state DC circuit breaker include faster response times, higher accuracy in detecting and interrupting excessive current, and a longer lifespan due to the absence of mechanical parts. They also tend to be more compact and efficient compared to traditional circuit breakers.

4. What types of loads can a solid state DC circuit breaker protect?

A solid state DC circuit breaker can protect various types of loads, including motors, power supplies, electronic devices, and more. It is commonly used in applications where precise and reliable protection is required, such as in industrial and automotive settings.

5. Can a solid state DC circuit breaker be reset after tripping?

Yes, a solid state DC circuit breaker can be reset after tripping. However, the reset process may vary depending on the specific model and manufacturer. It is important to follow the proper reset procedure to ensure the breaker is functioning correctly and the load is protected.