Solubility in g/L of zinc hydroxide with pH of 8

In summary, the chemical formula for zinc hydroxide is Zn(OH)2 and it has a low solubility. To determine the solubility in g/L in a solution with a pH of 8, one must first calculate the concentration of OH- ions and then use the molar mass. However, the results may vary depending on whether the pH is buffered or initially at 8. It is recommended to check the Ksp of zinc hydroxide for more accurate calculations.
Scatteredheroes

Homework Statement

Zinc hydroxide has the chemical formula of Zn(OH)2. It has a very low solubility. What is the solubility in g/L of Zinc Hydroxide in a solution with a pH of 8?

Homework Equations

zinc hydroxide formula
14-pH = pOH[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

10^-6 (the pOH) gives me the concentration of the OH- ion.

That gives me the unknown in mols/L.

I multiply it by the molar mass, but it's wrong. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you show all your calculations?

How many OH- radicals are there in each molecule of Zn(OH)2 ?

OH- in the solution are NOT from the dissolved Zn(OH)2.

I would check what is the Ksp of the zinc hydroxide and use this number in the calculations.

Sadly, the question is rather ambiguous. The final result is most likely different depending on whether the pH is buffered at 8, or is 8 initially (and there is no buffering effect). Hard to say what they mean.

I would read that as somehow maintained at pH 8 by some means, of which the most obvious is buffering (can also be done by e.g. An automatic titrator). Unfortunately you wil meet this sort of 'lab slang' often enough. But there is still not enough information and Ksp is needed.

1. What is the solubility of zinc hydroxide at a pH of 8?

The solubility of zinc hydroxide at a pH of 8 is approximately 0.04 g/L.

2. How does the solubility of zinc hydroxide change with pH?

The solubility of zinc hydroxide increases as the pH decreases. At a lower pH, the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution is higher, which can help to dissolve the zinc hydroxide.

3. How can the solubility of zinc hydroxide be increased?

The solubility of zinc hydroxide can be increased by adjusting the pH of the solution. Lowering the pH will increase the solubility, while raising the pH will decrease the solubility.

4. What is the chemical formula for zinc hydroxide?

The chemical formula for zinc hydroxide is Zn(OH)2.

5. Why is the solubility of zinc hydroxide important?

The solubility of zinc hydroxide is important because it affects how readily the compound can dissolve in a solution. This can have implications for its use in various industries, such as in pharmaceuticals, agriculture, and water treatment.