Solubility Product Constant Lab

In summary, the conversation is discussing a chemistry lab involving the mixing of Potassium Iodide and Lead(II) Nitrate of different dilutions. The initial concentrations of both substances were given and the question is to determine the solubility product constant of Lead (II) Iodide over a range of values. The group mixed solutions of 10mL, 8mL, 6mL, and 4mL each, and it was noted that a precipitate formed for the first three solutions but not for the last one. The conversation also mentions the possibility of an error due to temperature or incorrect concentrations given. The conversation ends with a request to write the Ksp equation with respect to the precipitate.
xavior6

Homework Statement

Hello. I recently did a lab with my chemistry class in which we mixed Potassium Iodide and Lead(II) Nitrate of different dilutions. We started off with 10mL of each solution and mixed them, giving us a final volume of 20mL. We then gradually decreased each solution's volume, making the next trial 8mL of each, but we used water to raise the final level to 20mL again. The one after that was 6mL/6mL, and the one after that was 4mL/4mL respectively. It is important to note that a precipitate formed for the 10mL, the 8mL, and the 6mL. The 4mL was the first to not produce a precipitate.

The initial concentration of Potassium Iodide was 0.020M
The initial concentration of Lead (II) Nitrate was 0.010M.

The question is determine the solubility product constant of Lead (II) Iodide over a range of values.

Homework Equations

CV=CV

Q = [a]

The Attempt at a Solution

It is obvious that the Ksp must be greater than the Trial Ion Product of the first flask to not produce a precipitate, but less than the Trial Ion product of the first flask to product a precipitate. In this case, the former is the 4mL/4mL, and the latter is the 6mL/6mL. Therefore, if I find the final Concentration of Iodide and Lead for each case, I can then use the Ksp formula to determine their trial ion product.

The problem is that BOTH of the answers I obtained were GREATER than the accepted Ksp of Lead (II) Iodide. I cannot logically explain this to myself, and I can't understand if I made a flaw in my calculations. Can someone please give me a hand? Please keep in mind that the final volume is ALWAYS 20mL (we add water).

Physics news on Phys.org
At first sight your calculations look OK.

What was temperature of the solution?

There is always a possibility that concentrations given were wrong.

Have you used distilled water?

Perhaps amount of the precipitate was so small, that it wasn't visible?

xavior6 said:

Homework Statement

Hello. I recently did a lab with my chemistry class in which we mixed Potassium Iodide and Lead(II) Nitrate of different dilutions. We started off with 10mL of each solution and mixed them, giving us a final volume of 20mL. We then gradually decreased each solution's volume, making the next trial 8mL of each, but we used water to raise the final level to 20mL again. The one after that was 6mL/6mL, and the one after that was 4mL/4mL respectively. It is important to note that a precipitate formed for the 10mL, the 8mL, and the 6mL. The 4mL was the first to not produce a precipitate.

The initial concentration of Potassium Iodide was 0.020M
The initial concentration of Lead (II) Nitrate was 0.010M.

The question is determine the solubility product constant of Lead (II) Iodide over a range of values.

Homework Equations

CV=CV

Q = [a]

The Attempt at a Solution

It is obvious that the Ksp must be greater than the Trial Ion Product of the first flask to not produce a precipitate, but less than the Trial Ion product of the first flask to product a precipitate. In this case, the former is the 4mL/4mL, and the latter is the 6mL/6mL. Therefore, if I find the final Concentration of Iodide and Lead for each case, I can then use the Ksp formula to determine their trial ion product.

The problem is that BOTH of the answers I obtained were GREATER than the accepted Ksp of Lead (II) Iodide. I cannot logically explain this to myself, and I can't understand if I made a flaw in my calculations. Can someone please give me a hand? Please keep in mind that the final volume is ALWAYS 20mL (we add water).

Write the actual Ksp equation with respect to the precipitate.

1. What is the purpose of a Solubility Product Constant Lab?

The purpose of a Solubility Product Constant Lab is to determine the solubility product constant (Ksp) of a compound, which is a measure of the maximum amount of a compound that can dissolve in a solvent at a given temperature. This constant is important in understanding the solubility and potential precipitation of compounds in various solutions.

2. How is the solubility product constant (Ksp) calculated in a lab?

In a Solubility Product Constant Lab, the Ksp is typically calculated by measuring the concentration of the ions in solution at equilibrium and using the ion product equation (IP) to determine the Ksp value. The IP equation is Ksp = [A+]^m [B-]^n, where A+ and B- represent the cation and anion of the compound, and m and n represent their respective coefficients in the balanced equation.

3. What factors can affect the solubility product constant (Ksp)?

The solubility product constant (Ksp) is primarily affected by temperature and the nature of the compound itself. As temperature increases, the solubility of most compounds also increases, resulting in a higher Ksp value. Additionally, the presence of other ions or compounds in solution can affect the solubility and therefore the Ksp value.

4. How does the solubility product constant (Ksp) relate to the common ion effect?

The common ion effect states that the solubility of a compound is decreased when a common ion is added to the solution. This is due to the shift in equilibrium caused by the increased concentration of one ion. In a Solubility Product Constant Lab, the Ksp value may be affected by the presence of a common ion, as it can decrease the solubility and therefore the Ksp value of the compound.

5. What are some common sources of error in a Solubility Product Constant Lab?

Some common sources of error in a Solubility Product Constant Lab include incomplete dissolution of the compound, inaccurate measurement of concentrations, and contamination from other ions or compounds. It is important to carefully follow lab procedures and techniques to minimize these sources of error and obtain accurate results.