Solution Guide for Principles of Plasma Physics (Krall & Trivelpiece)

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding a solution key for the textbook Principles of Plasma physics by Krall & Trivelpiece and the reasons why it may not be readily available. The only valid option suggested is to contact the publisher and inquire about purchasing a solution key. It is also mentioned that solution manuals for textbooks are often restricted to instructors only to prevent cheating on homework. An alternative solution is to find a similar textbook that provides solutions to odd-numbered exercises in the back of the book. The thread is then closed.
Inquisitive Student
Principles of Plasma physics by Krall & Trivelpiece seems to be a well-used book in the plasma physics community, but I've never seen a solution key for the questions asked in the book. I am trying some of the problems and want to check my work.

Is there such a solution key or some blog that has a solution key?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid we do not share solution manuals. If they exist at all they are probably either copyright protected or of questionable origin. Neither do we want to recommend.

The only valid possibility is to write the publisher and ask whether there is one and how it can be purchased.

Thread closed.

Likes vanhees71 and berkeman
Inquisitive Student said:
Principles of Plasma physics by Krall & Trivelpiece seems to be a well-used book in the plasma physics community, but I've never seen a solution key for the questions asked in the book. I am trying some of the problems and want to check my work.

Is there such a solution key or some blog that has a solution key?
One other comment -- Solution manuals for textbooks are often for instructors only. That's to prevent cheating on homework in university courses. That is a problem for folks who want to self-study out of that textbook on their own, but I'm sure you can see the practical problems involved in making the Instructor Solution Manual public.

Often a good alternative is to find another similar textbook that covers the same material, but also provides the solutions to the odd-numbered exercises in the back of the book. That handles both the self-study and university graded homework students.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is plasma?

Plasma is a state of matter in which gas particles become ionized, meaning they lose or gain electrons and become electrically charged. This creates a highly conductive and reactive medium.

2. How is plasma different from gas?

Plasma and gas are both made up of particles, but plasma has a higher energy state due to the presence of charged particles. This allows plasma to exhibit unique properties such as electrical conductivity and response to magnetic fields.

3. What are some applications of plasma physics?

Plasma physics has a wide range of applications, including fusion energy research, space propulsion, materials processing, and plasma-based technologies such as plasma TVs and fluorescent lighting.

4. What are some key principles of plasma physics?

Some key principles of plasma physics include the behavior of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields, plasma instabilities, and the interaction between plasma and electromagnetic waves.

5. Is plasma physics a difficult field to study?

Plasma physics can be a challenging field to study due to the complex nature of plasma and the need for specialized equipment and facilities. However, with a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, it can be a fascinating and rewarding area of research.