Solve 2 Loop RC Circuit: Find Q(topen)

In summary: I have been using R = R_1+R_2 but that hasn't been correct. I've tried different combinations of resistors but I'm not quite getting it.Show your working for the capacitor charging voltage.
acrimius
1. Situation and Variables:
A circuit is constructed with four resistors, one capacitor, one battery and a switch as shown. The values for the resistors are: R1 = R2 = 30 Ω, R3 = 66 Ω and R4 = 113 Ω. The capacitance is C = 64 μF and the battery voltage is V = 12 V. The positive terminal of the battery is indicated with a + sign.

phpAv88Ty.png

2. Sub-question:
After the switch has been closed for a very long time, it is then opened. What is Q(topen), the charge on the capacitor at a time topen = 786 μs after the switch was opened?

3. Relevant Equations:
Kirchhoff's Loop Rule: [tex] \Sigma V_l = 0[/tex]

Kirchhoff's Node Rule: [tex] I_i = I_o [/tex]

[tex] V_C = \frac {q} {C}[/tex]

For a discharging circuit:
[tex] q(t) = q_o e^\frac {-t} {\tau}[/tex]

4. Attempt:
When the switch is closed initially and time goes to infinity, the capacitor charges up and reaches it's capacitance, which I found the max charge, qo to be about 243μC.
Then for a discharging circuit, we have the equation I gave above q(t). I believe my issue is finding tau, which is RC. I have been using [tex] R = R_1+R_2 [/tex] but that hasn't been correct. I've tried different combinations of resistors but I'm not quite getting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show your working for the capacitor charging voltage.

How to determine the capacitor's discharging path when the switch is an open circuit?

NascentOxygen said:
Show your working for the capacitor charging voltage.

How to determine the capacitor's discharging path when the switch is an open circuit?
Q(∞)?
IC = 0 ∴ I1 = I2
Knowing this:
Loop for right hand side (I):
[tex]\frac {q} {C} = I_2R_3[/tex]

Loop for left hand side (II):
[tex]V_b = I_2(R_1+R_3+R_4)[/tex]
Therefore,
[tex]I_2 = \frac {V_b} {R_1+R_3+R_4}[/tex]

plugging this into (I):
[tex]\frac {q} {C} = \frac {V_bR_3} {R_1+R_3+R_4}[/tex]

then solve for q, which is just multiplying both sides by C.
The exactly answer they have for Q is 242.526315789474μC, which is what I got, and I have this number stored so I used it for my text calculation of find Q(786μs) from the equation [tex]q(t) = q_oe^\frac{-t} {\tau}[/tex]

Also I figured the current go across the switch, so I assumed it would only traverse the right hand side, which is why I use [tex]R=R_2+R_3[/tex] the equation I originally posted is not what I had written, it was a typo on my part.

acrimius said:
which is why I use [tex]R=R_2+R_3[/tex]
That's the discharge path. So you need to be able to write by inspection the exponential time equation for the capacitor voltage as it discharges. I see you almost have.

Are you able to calculate τ and finish this now?

NascentOxygen said:
That's the discharge path. So can you write by inspection the exponential time equation for the capacitor voltage as it discharges?
Right. So I have this equation:
[tex]q(t) = q_oe^\frac {-t} {R_2+R_3}[/tex]
but because R2+R3 is so large in comparison to t=786μs, the e part is approximately 1, and so my calculator outputs nearly the same answer as I had before, which the website counts as incorrect

The time constant is the product of R and C. It needs to have units of seconds, or it wouldn't be a time.

Likes acrimius
NascentOxygen said:
The time constant is the producut of R and C.
Wow, that was a really dumb mistake on my part. Thanks for helping me though, I probably would have never realized that.

I thought you had it right in your first post ...
acrimius said:
I believe my issue is finding tau, which is RC.

1. What is a 2-loop RC circuit?

A 2-loop RC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains two distinct loops or pathways for the flow of current. It typically consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel.

2. How do I solve a 2-loop RC circuit?

To solve a 2-loop RC circuit, you will need to use Kirchhoff's laws, which state that the sum of currents entering and leaving a junction must equal zero, and the sum of voltages around a closed loop must equal zero. You will also need to use Ohm's law and the equation for the charge on a capacitor (Q=CV) to find the values of current and charge at any given time.

3. What is Q(topen) in a 2-loop RC circuit?

Q(topen) represents the charge on the capacitor at the time when the switch is opened in a 2-loop RC circuit. This value is important because it can help determine the behavior of the circuit after the switch is opened.

4. What factors affect Q(topen) in a 2-loop RC circuit?

The value of Q(topen) is affected by the initial charge on the capacitor, the values of the resistor and capacitor in the circuit, and the time constant (RC) of the circuit. Additionally, the position of the switch (whether it is open or closed) at the time of measurement can also affect Q(topen).

5. How is Q(topen) calculated in a 2-loop RC circuit?

To calculate Q(topen), you will need to use the equation Q(topen) = Q(0)e^(-t/RC), where Q(0) is the initial charge on the capacitor, t is the time since the switch was opened, R is the resistance in the circuit, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor. This equation is derived from the charge equation for a capacitor (Q=CV) and the time constant equation (RC).