Solve 2nd Order Reaction Kinetics: Mn(CO)sub5 → Mnsub2 (CO)sub10

In summary, the reaction will take 3.0 * 10^9 M^-1s^-1 to disappear over a period of time if the initial concentration of Mn(CO)sub5 is 1.0 * 10^-5 M.
Fetch

Homework Statement

The second order reaction 2Mn(CO)sub5 → Mnsub2 (CO)sub10 has a rate constant equal to
3.0 *10^9 M^-1s^-1 at 25oC. If the initial concentration for Mn(CO)sub5 is 1.0 * 10^-5 M, how long will it take for 90% of the reactant to disappear?

Homework Equations

Rate Law = k*[Mn(CO)sub5]

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure what they want me to do here? If its a half life thing I understand, but it is not stated anywhere in the problem and I assume we're not expected to know such things. I can find the rate most certainly, and the units would be what they are, but how exactly do I relate such things in an equation to find how long it would take for 90% of the reaction to disappear? Can someone point me in the right direction? I have work for the day so I won't have as much time as I'd like to work it out, but if someone could just give me a nudge I'd be fine! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fetch said:

Homework Statement

The second order reaction 2Mn(CO)sub5 → Mnsub2 (CO)sub10 has a rate constant equal to
3.0 *10^9 M^-1s^-1 at 25oC. If the initial concentration for Mn(CO)sub5 is 1.0 * 10^-5 M, how long will it take for 90% of the reactant to disappear?

Homework Equations

Rate Law = k*[Mn(CO)sub5]

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure what they want me to do here? If its a half life thing I understand, but it is not stated anywhere in the problem and I assume we're not expected to know such things. I can find the rate most certainly, and the units would be what they are, but how exactly do I relate such things in an equation to find how long it would take for 90% of the reaction to disappear? Can someone point me in the right direction? I have work for the day so I won't have as much time as I'd like to work it out, but if someone could just give me a nudge I'd be fine! Thanks.

Looks like you've stated the wrong rate law.
For that reaction what is the most plausible rate law?
More conclusively have you noticed the units quoted for the rate constant?

Because of the → symbol and no other indications if you have quoted the question completely I think you can assume the reaction irreversible, i.e. goes to completion.

The concentration-independent half-life concept is valid only for first-order kinetics.

Although the question is maybe not extremely easy you can do it with a bit of knowledge of integration; otherwise it is standard chemical kinetics theory found in any physical chemistry textbook of medium level.

Last edited:

Related to Solve 2nd Order Reaction Kinetics: Mn(CO)sub5 → Mnsub2 (CO)sub10

1. What is a 2nd order reaction?

A 2nd order reaction is a chemical reaction in which the rate is dependent on the concentration of two reactants. It can be expressed as rate = k[A][B], where k is the rate constant and [A] and [B] are the concentrations of the reactants.

2. How do I determine the rate constant for a 2nd order reaction?

The rate constant for a 2nd order reaction can be determined by plotting the concentration of the reactant versus time and calculating the slope of the line. The slope is equal to the rate constant, k.

3. What is the integrated rate law for a 2nd order reaction?

The integrated rate law for a 2nd order reaction is 1/[A]t = kt + 1/[A]0, where [A]t is the concentration of the reactant at time t, [A]0 is the initial concentration, and k is the rate constant.

4. How does temperature affect the rate of a 2nd order reaction?

An increase in temperature generally increases the rate of a 2nd order reaction. This is because an increase in temperature leads to an increase in the number of collisions between reactant molecules, resulting in a higher rate of reaction.

5. Can the reaction order change over time?

No, the reaction order does not change over time. It is determined experimentally and remains constant for the given reaction. However, the rate constant may change with changes in temperature or concentration of reactants.