Exploring Euler's Formula in First Order Chemical and Nuclear Reaction Kinetics

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of applying Euler's formula to the equation governing first order chemical and nuclear reaction kinetics. The speaker, a physician, argues for the simpler Real domain approach and expresses concerns about the implications of using the Complex domain solution. The conversation is eventually closed due to rules against personal theory development on the forum.
GregBrown
Has anyone ever encountered a discussion on the topic of applying Euler's formula

exp(i*x) = cos(x) + i * sin(x)

to the equation governing first order chemical (and nuclear) reaction kinetics?

d[Reactant]/dt = C*[Reactant]

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hi CJ, :welcome:

No :smile:

Likes berkeman
If you set ##x=-icR## where c is a constant and R is the concentration then ##e^{ix}## is a solution to the differential equation, but this is just needlessly adding complications to the problem.

I’m a physician (pathologist) and wholeheartedly endorse your preference for the simpler, Real domain approach, which provides an adequate solution for all observable features of the process. It is that very preference (for the Real domain) that is the point of my post. Indulge me for a moment and consider the implications of the Complex domain solution. Exponential processes may be a “keyhole” through which we can spy a more complete understanding. The Imaginary and Complex domains enlarge the solution space of exponential processes in a way quite beyond lived experience. There simply is nothing in the physical universe that is not amenable to the enumeration and ordering process we refer to as “measurement”, while the Imaginary domain provides no comparable amenity. There are extremely compelling reasons for our preference (for the Real domain) that are reasonably self evident. [this is left as an exercise for the reader]The Complex solution, ##cos{x} + i*sin{x}## necessitates not only that the reaction products are sinusoidal, the reactants must also be sinusoidal. I’m back to where I started: there are no “particles”, only waves

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

GregBrown said:
The Complex solution, cosx+i∗sinxcos{x} + i*sin{x} necessitates not only that the reaction products are sinusoidal, the reactants must also be sinusoidal. I’m back to where I started: there are no “particles”, only waves
Personal theory development is not allowed at the PF. Please check your PMs; thread will remain closed. Thank you everyone for your contributions to the thread.

1. What is Euler's formula in first order chemical and nuclear reaction kinetics?

Euler's formula, also known as the exponential decay law, is a mathematical expression that describes the rate of decay of a substance in a first-order reaction. It is given by the equation A = A0e-kt, where A is the amount of substance remaining after time t, A0 is the initial amount of substance, k is the rate constant, and t is the time.

2. How is Euler's formula used in first order chemical and nuclear reaction kinetics?

Euler's formula is used to calculate the amount of substance remaining in a first-order reaction over time. It is also used to determine the rate constant and half-life of a reaction. Additionally, it can be used to compare the rate of decay of different substances in a reaction.

3. What is the difference between first order chemical and nuclear reactions?

First order chemical reactions involve the breaking and forming of chemical bonds, while first order nuclear reactions involve the decay of unstable atomic nuclei. Additionally, the rate of a first order chemical reaction is dependent on the concentration of the reactants, while the rate of a first order nuclear reaction is dependent on the number of radioactive nuclei present.

4. How does temperature affect first order chemical and nuclear reactions?

Temperature can affect first order chemical and nuclear reactions in different ways. In chemical reactions, an increase in temperature can lead to an increase in the rate of reaction due to more collisions between molecules. In nuclear reactions, a higher temperature can cause the atoms to vibrate more, making it easier for them to overcome the energy barrier and undergo decay.

5. What are some real-world applications of Euler's formula in first order chemical and nuclear reaction kinetics?

Euler's formula is used in a wide range of fields, including medicine, environmental science, and chemistry. It is used to monitor the decay of radioactive elements in nuclear power plants, to determine the shelf-life of medications, and to study the kinetics of chemical reactions in the atmosphere. Additionally, it is used in radiocarbon dating to estimate the age of archaeological artifacts.