Solve Average Velocity: 2 Trains & Bird

In summary: You are given two trains, each with a speed of 34 km/h, heading towards each other on the same track. A bird flies at 60 km/h from the front of one train towards the other, and then back again. What is the total distance the bird travels before the trains collide? In summary, the bird travels a total distance of 45 km before the trains collide.
natezyz

Homework Statement

Two trains, each having a speed of 34 km/h, are headed at each other on the same straight track. A bird that can fly 60 km/h flies off the front of one train when they are 51 km apart and heads directly for the other train. On reaching the other train it flies directly back to the first train, and so forth. (We have no idea why a bird would behave in this way.) What is the total distance the bird travels before the trains collide?

Homework Equations

average speed=deltax/deltat

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a lot of trouble even just setting the math up for this. I have alittle picture drawn out and have everything labeled from the distance between the two trains to the bird's position, I just don't understand how to apply this to an equation much less account for the bird and train's change of position. Anyway I imagine you set it up as the point that the bird lifts off is the origin and have a variable to represent where the bird and train will meet with something like 0+x=x-51. But now looking at that it looks completely ****ed and I feel like I'm over looking some small thing that will make the lightbulb go off.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah I think you might be right. The half-point is 25.5km and it would take each train .75 hours (40 minutes) to collide. The bird's velocity is a given 60km/h so you would multiply 60(.75) to get 45km.

I would approach this problem by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. First, I would calculate the time it takes for the trains to collide using the formula d=rt, where d is the distance between the trains (51 km) and r is the combined speed of the two trains (68 km/h). This gives a time of approximately 0.75 hours.

Next, I would calculate the distance the bird travels in one round trip between the two trains. This would be the sum of the distance from the origin to the first train (25.5 km) and the distance from the first train to the second train (25.5 km). This gives a total distance of 51 km.

Since the bird travels this distance in 0.75 hours, its average velocity would be 51 km/0.75 h, or 68 km/h.

Finally, to find the total distance the bird travels before the trains collide, I would multiply the bird's average velocity by the time it takes for the trains to collide. This gives a total distance of approximately 51 km.

What is the concept of average velocity?

Average velocity is a measure of the displacement of an object over a certain period of time. It takes into account both the distance traveled and the time taken to travel that distance.

How is average velocity calculated in the context of two trains and a bird?

In this context, average velocity is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. This takes into account the motion of both trains and the bird, as they all contribute to the overall displacement.

What is the role of time in calculating average velocity?

Time is a crucial factor in calculating average velocity, as it represents the duration of the displacement. Without considering time, the calculation would not accurately represent the average velocity of the objects.

How does the presence of multiple objects affect the calculation of average velocity?

The presence of multiple objects, such as two trains and a bird, affects the average velocity calculation by taking into account the different speeds and distances traveled by each object. This results in a more complex calculation, but provides a more accurate representation of the average velocity of the system.

What are the units of average velocity?

Average velocity is typically measured in units of distance over time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). However, the specific units used may vary depending on the system being studied and the preferences of the scientist conducting the research.