Solve Chain Rule Confusion with Diff. Eq. | Help

In summary, the problem with the chain rule is that the middle term is not always given in terms of the independent variable.
karenara
while solving differential equations, I got a bit confused with chain rule problem.
The solution says below
yprime = z
then
y double prime = z (dz/dy) = z prime
but I don't understand why the differentiation of z is in that form.
Please help...

Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]y' = z[/itex] then, by the concept of equality and the definition of the second derivative, [itex]y'' = z'[/itex]. The chain rule has nothing to do with this.

In kinematics, where [itex]v = \frac{ds}{dt}[/itex] and [itex]a = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{d^2 s}{dt^2}[/itex], then the chain rule gives [tex]
a = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dv}{ds} \frac{ds}{dt} = v \frac{dv}{ds},[/tex] a change of variable which is occasionally useful, particularly if [itex]a[/itex] is given in terms of [itex]s[/itex].

If ##y'=z## denote the independent variable with ##x## then ##y'(x)=z(x)## and ## y''(x)=\frac{d}{dx} y'(x)=\frac{d}{dx}z(x)=z'(x)##

Ssnow said:
If ##y'=z## denote the independent variable with ##x## then ##y'(x)=z(x)## and ## y''(x)=\frac{d}{dx} y'(x)=\frac{d}{dx}z(x)=z'(x)##
sorry but, that's not what I'm asking..
I mean the second term in the equation.

Last edited:
karenara said:
sorry but, that's what not I'm asking..
I mean the second term in the equation.
Are you asking about the part in the middle in the last equation?
karenara said:
The solution says below
yprime = z
then
y double prime = z (dz/dy) = z prime
This doesn't make sense to me. The tacit assumption here seems to be that you're differentiating with respect to z, with z being the independent variable. What you have in the middle should be ##\frac d {dy}z##, which is different from ##z(\frac{dz}{dy})##.

It would help if you showed us the actual problem.

yes there is a problem with the notations as @Mark44 said, are you sure that the middle term is ##z\left(\frac{dz}{dy}\right)## ?

i definitely agree with what you guys said and that was the reason why I was asking this here. Then do you think it's just a typo? I thought i mistook something.

I found out why! It is in fact, chain rule.
if we differentiate left and right side by t
dz/dt = dz/dy X dy/dt
, dy/dt=y'=z...

Likes Ssnow
ok it is ##y''=\frac{d}{dx}y'=\frac{d}{dx}z=\frac{dy}{dx}\frac{dz}{dy}=z\frac{dz}{dy}##

Likes karenara
Ssnow said:
ok it is ##y''=\frac{d}{dx}y'=\frac{d}{dx}z=\frac{dy}{dx}\frac{dz}{dy}=z\frac{dz}{dy}##
nice timing! lol we almost uploaded the response at the same time! anyway thanks a lot for sparing your time for my question! :)

nothing! yes simultaneously. I was also in doubt at the beginning, this the miracle of calculations ...

Related to Solve Chain Rule Confusion with Diff. Eq. | Help

1. What is the chain rule in differential equations?

The chain rule in differential equations is a method for computing the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function. In other words, it allows us to find the rate of change of a function within another function.

2. Why is the chain rule important in differential equations?

The chain rule is important in differential equations because it allows us to solve more complicated functions by breaking them down into smaller, simpler functions. It also plays a crucial role in many applications of differential equations, such as in physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How do I apply the chain rule in differential equations?

To apply the chain rule in differential equations, you first need to identify the outer and inner functions. Then, take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. If the inner function is also a composite function, you can continue to apply the chain rule until you reach the simplest form of the function.

4. What are common mistakes when using the chain rule in differential equations?

One common mistake when using the chain rule in differential equations is not correctly identifying the outer and inner functions. It is important to pay attention to the order in which the functions are composed. Another mistake is not properly simplifying the resulting function after applying the chain rule.

5. Are there any tips for avoiding confusion when using the chain rule in differential equations?

One tip for avoiding confusion when using the chain rule in differential equations is to carefully label and organize your work. This will help you keep track of the functions and their derivatives. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with different types of functions and their derivatives to develop a better understanding of how the chain rule works.