How to prove the chain rule for mutual information

In summary: H(X_j | X_{j-1}, ... , X_1) - \sum_{j=1}^{n} H(X_j | X_{j-1}, ... , X_1, Y)= \sum_{j=1}^{n} H(X_j | X_{j-1}, ... , X_1) - H(X_1, X_2, ... , X_n | Y)= \sum_{j=1}^{n} I(X_j; Y|X_{j-1}, ..., X_1)This proves the chain rule for mutual information. In summary, we can use the chain rule for entropy and conditional entropy to expand the mutual information for multiple random variables and
Master1022
Homework Statement
Prove the chain rule for mutual information
Relevant Equations
Entropy and mutual information
Hi,

I was attempting the following problem and am a bit confused because I don't quite understand the structure/notation of how mutual information and entropy work when we have conditionals (a|b) and multiple events (a, b).

Question: Prove the chain rule for mutual information.
[tex] I(X_1, X_2, ... , X_n ; Y) = \sum_{j=1}^{n} I(X_j; Y|X_{j-1}, ..., X_1) [/tex]

Attempt:
I started by doing:

[tex] I(X_1, X_2, ... , X_n ; Y) = H(X_1, X_2, ..., X_n) - H(X_1, X_2, ... , X_n | Y) [/tex]
And I know the expression on the right can be expanded using the chain rule for entropy which is [itex] H(X_1, X_2, ..., X_n) = \sum_{j=1}^{n} H(X_j | X_{j-1}, ... , X_1) [/itex], and thus the expression becomes:
[tex] I(X_1, X_2, ... , X_n ; Y) = \sum_{j=1}^{n} H(X_j | X_{j-1}, ... , X_1) - H(X_1, X_2, ... , X_n | Y) [/tex]

Now I am thinking about how to deal with the second term. I think I should be able to use the chain rule for entropy as well, then then combine both sums to get something useful. However, I am stuck because I am confused by the presence of the condition and multiple things before the condition bar... Nonetheless, if I think about it from a Venn diagram standpoint then I think I get to something like:
[tex] H(X_1, X_2, ... , X_n | Y) = H(X_n | Y, X_{n - 1}, ... , X_1) \cdot H(X_{n - 1}, ... , X_1) = H(X_n | Y, X_{n - 1}, ... , X_1) \prod_{j = 1}^{n-1} H(X_j | X_{j - 1}, ... , X_1) [/tex]

However, I am not sure whether this is correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It looks like you're on the right track! Let me try to break down the problem and explain it in a bit more detail.

First, let's start with the definition of mutual information. Mutual information between two random variables X and Y is defined as:

I(X;Y) = H(X) - H(X|Y)

where H(X) is the entropy of X and H(X|Y) is the conditional entropy of X given Y.

Now, let's expand this definition to multiple random variables. In your attempt, you correctly used the chain rule for entropy to expand H(X) to:

H(X_1, X_2, ..., X_n) = \sum_{j=1}^{n} H(X_j | X_{j-1}, ... , X_1)

We can do the same for the conditional entropy H(X|Y) by using the chain rule for conditional entropy. This gives us:

H(X_1, X_2, ..., X_n | Y) = \sum_{j=1}^{n} H(X_j | X_{j-1}, ... , X_1, Y)

Now, we can substitute these expanded expressions into the definition of mutual information to get:

I(X_1, X_2, ..., X_n ; Y) = \sum_{j=1}^{n} H(X_j | X_{j-1}, ... , X_1) - \sum_{j=1}^{n} H(X_j | X_{j-1}, ... , X_1, Y)

At this point, we can see that H(X_j | X_{j-1}, ... , X_1) appears in both sums. We can combine these sums to get:

I(X_1, X_2, ..., X_n ; Y) = \sum_{j=1}^{n} H(X_j | X_{j-1}, ... , X_1) - \sum_{j=1}^{n} H(X_j | X_{j-1}, ... , X_1, Y)

= \sum_{j=1}^{n} H(X_j | X_{j-1}, ... , X_1) - \sum_{j=1}^{n} H(X_j | X_{j-1}, ... , X_1, Y)

= \sum_{j=1}^{n}

1. What is the chain rule for mutual information?

The chain rule for mutual information is a mathematical formula that shows how the mutual information between two variables is affected by the mutual information between those variables and a third variable. It is a fundamental concept in information theory and is used to measure the amount of information shared between multiple variables.

2. How is the chain rule for mutual information derived?

The chain rule for mutual information is derived from the definition of mutual information, which is the difference between the joint entropy of two variables and the sum of their individual entropies. By expanding the joint entropy using the product rule and manipulating the resulting equation, the chain rule for mutual information can be derived.

3. What is the significance of the chain rule for mutual information?

The chain rule for mutual information is significant because it allows us to analyze the relationship between multiple variables and determine how much information is shared between them. This is important in various fields such as data compression, communication systems, and machine learning.

4. Can the chain rule for mutual information be applied to continuous variables?

Yes, the chain rule for mutual information can be applied to both discrete and continuous variables. However, in the case of continuous variables, the joint entropy and individual entropies are replaced with joint probability density functions and marginal probability density functions, respectively.

5. Are there any limitations to the chain rule for mutual information?

One limitation of the chain rule for mutual information is that it assumes a linear relationship between the variables. This may not always be the case in real-world scenarios, and therefore, the results obtained from using the chain rule may not accurately reflect the true information shared between the variables.