Solve Completing Square Problem: ((x2)/18)-(x/9)=1

• MHB
  • Thread starter wellyn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary, the conversation is about solving the equation ((x2)/18)-(x/9)=1 by completing the square method. The person provides a suggested approach of multiplying through by the lowest common denominator and then taking half the coefficient of the linear term and adding it to both sides. The other person is still stumped and asks for further clarification.
wellyn
help I am stumped on this ((x2)/18)-(x/9)=1(Headbang)(Headbang)(Headbang)(Headbang)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: competing the square

wellyn said:
help I am stumped on this ((x2)/18)-(x/9)=1(Headbang)(Headbang)(Headbang)(Headbang)

We are given:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x^2}{18}-\frac{x}{9}=1\)

I think I would first multiply through by the lowest common denominator to get rid of the denominators. So, multiplying through by 18, we get:

\(\displaystyle x^2-2x=18\)

Can you proceed?

no sorry I am stumped

wellyn said:
no sorry I am stumped

You want to take half the coefficient of the linear term (the term with $x$ as a factor) and square it, and add this to both sides. What do you get?

Hello! Completing the square is a technique used to rewrite a quadratic equation in a standard form, which is (x-h)^2 = k. In this case, we have ((x^2)/18)-(x/9)=1. To solve this problem, we need to follow these steps:

Step 1: Factor out the coefficient of x^2, which is 1/18. This gives us (1/18)(x^2-x/9)=1.

Step 2: Take half of the coefficient of x, which is -1/9, and square it. This gives us (-1/9)^2=1/81.

Step 3: Add this value to both sides of the equation. This gives us (1/18)(x^2-x/9+1/81)=1+1/81.

Step 4: Rewrite the left side of the equation as a perfect square. This gives us (1/18)(x-1/9)^2=82/81.

Step 5: Multiply both sides by 18 to eliminate the fraction. This gives us (x-1/9)^2=82.

Step 6: Take the square root of both sides. This gives us x-1/9=±√82.

Step 7: Add 1/9 to both sides to isolate x. This gives us x=1/9±√82.

Therefore, the solutions to this equation are x=1/9+√82 and x=1/9-√82. I hope this helps!

Related to Solve Completing Square Problem: ((x2)/18)-(x/9)=1

1. What is completing the square?

Completing the square is a method used to solve quadratic equations by manipulating the equation into a perfect square trinomial. This allows for easier factoring and finding the solutions of the equation.

2. How do I know when to use completing the square?

Completing the square is used to solve quadratic equations that cannot be easily factored or when the coefficient of the squared term is not 1. In this case, using completing the square can make the equation easier to solve.

3. Can completing the square be used for any type of quadratic equation?

Yes, completing the square can be used for any type of quadratic equation, as long as the equation is in the standard form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0. This method can also be used to find the maximum or minimum value of a quadratic function.

4. What are the steps for completing the square?

The steps for completing the square are: 1) Move the constant term to the right side of the equation. 2) Divide the coefficient of the x^2 term by 2 and square it. 3) Add this value to both sides of the equation. 4) Factor the perfect square trinomial on the left side of the equation. 5) Take the square root of both sides of the equation. 6) Solve for x by adding or subtracting the remaining constant term.

5. Can completing the square be used for equations with fractions?

Yes, completing the square can be used for equations with fractions. It is important to first multiply the entire equation by the least common denominator to eliminate any fractions before following the steps for completing the square.