Solve Ehrenfest's Pendulum Equation | Can't Solve It

• Thread starter dRic2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the conversation discusses solving an integral related to a pendulum system. The individual suggests using the equation and integrating it, but realizes that the derivative is a partial derivative and cannot be integrated in that way. They then discuss the possibility of there being an easier solution and mention the keyword "slowly changing length" which could potentially provide insight into the solution, but they are unsure of how to use this information to solve the integral.
dRic2
Gold Member
Homework Statement
A simple pendulum hangs from a fixed pulley. The other end of the string is in the hand of an observer who pulls up the string slowly, thus shortening the length of the pendulum with uniform velocity. Show that, neglecting friction, the amplitude of the oscillations increases in the following manner. The change of the total energy from the position ##\theta = 0## to the next position ##\theta = 0## is given by $$\Delta E = - \frac 1 2 \frac {\Delta l} l E$$ where ##E## is the energy constant of the undisturbed oscillations.
Relevant Equations
$$\Delta E = - \int_{t_1}^{t_2} \frac {\partial L} {\partial t} dt$$
Well, using the above equation it should be easy... but I can't solve it :headbang::headbang:

$$ L = \frac 1 2 m (\dot l^2 + l^2 \dot \theta ^ 2) - mgl(1- \cos\theta)$$

then I guess

$$\int_{t_1}^{t_2} \frac {\partial L}{\partial t} dt = L(t_2) - L(t_1)$$

*Note*: since the variation ##\frac {\partial L}{\partial t}## is considered wrt to the variable ##t## alone, in the infinitesimal time ##dt##, ##\theta## and ##\dot \theta## are kept constant. So, even when integrating ##\theta## and ##\dot \theta## are kept constant wrt to time. Am I right ? If I choose ##t_2## to be the instant when ##\theta## is again equal to zero and, of course, ##\theta(t_1) = 0## then:

$$\Delta E = -\frac 1 2 m (\dot l^2 + l^2(t_2) \dot \theta ^2) - \frac 1 2 m (\dot l^2 + l^2(t_1) \dot \theta ^2)$$

and ##l^2(t_2) = (l(t_1) + \Delta l)^2 \approx l^2(t_1) + 2l \Delta l##. So, finally,

$$\Delta E = - m (l(t_1)*\Delta l \dot \theta ^2)$$

But ##E_1 = \frac 1 2 m l^2(t_1)* \dot \theta ^2 = E## is the energy constant of the undisturbed oscillations. So:

$$\Delta E = - 2 \frac {\Delta l} l E $$

which is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
dRic2 said:
Am I right ?
No. The derivative is a partial derivative wrt t. In order to integrate it like that it must be the total derivative.

Likes dRic2
Oh right... what was I thinking!? Thank you very much.

But now I don't know how to solve that integral :confused:

It has been 3 days since I started thinking on this problem. Still I have no clue how to solve that integral. I think there should be an easier way... Can someone provide any suggestion/insight ?

I would appreciate a lot.

Note the keyword that tells you the length changes ”slowly”. What does this tell you about the solution?

Orodruin said:
Note the keyword that tells you the length changes ”slowly”. What does this tell you about the solution?
I think it means that the system undergoes a "reversible transformation", i.e. the pendulum goes from a state of equilibrium with energy ##E_0## to a state of equilibrium of energy ##E_0+dE##. But I'm not sure. And even if it was true, I do not know how to exploit this information

1. What is Ehrenfest's pendulum equation?

Ehrenfest's pendulum equation is a mathematical model that describes the motion of a pendulum in a nonlinear system. It takes into account the effects of small oscillations, damping, and an external driving force.

2. Why is it difficult to solve Ehrenfest's pendulum equation?

Ehrenfest's pendulum equation is difficult to solve because it is a nonlinear differential equation, meaning that it cannot be solved using traditional algebraic methods. It also has no analytical solution, so numerical methods must be used.

3. What are some methods for solving Ehrenfest's pendulum equation?

Some methods for solving Ehrenfest's pendulum equation include numerical techniques such as the Runge-Kutta method and the Euler method. Other methods include perturbation theory and the small-angle approximation.

4. Can Ehrenfest's pendulum equation ever be solved exactly?

No, Ehrenfest's pendulum equation cannot be solved exactly. This is because it is a nonlinear equation and has no analytical solution. However, numerical methods can provide accurate approximations of the solution.

5. What applications does Ehrenfest's pendulum equation have?

Ehrenfest's pendulum equation has applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be used to model and analyze the behavior of pendulum systems in real-world situations, such as in mechanical systems and in chaotic systems.