Solve Conduction Problem for Refrigerator

• Thread starter nonphysicsguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conduction
In summary, conduction in a refrigerator works by transferring heat through direct contact between materials. Factors such as temperature difference, insulation, and materials used can affect the rate of conduction. To minimize conduction, good insulation materials should be used and the temperature difference should be kept small. Poor conduction can result in higher energy consumption and strain on the appliance. However, conduction can also be used to improve the efficiency of a refrigerator by using materials with high thermal conductivity and low thermal conductivity insulation.
nonphysicsguy
I'm trying to build a simple model to determine the temperature of a solution in a refrigerator assuming that the temperature in the refrigerator is constant. I'm also assuming that the solution in the fridge is the same temperature as it's vessel and that the vessel is solid and made only of the vessle material. I know, it's a gross over assumption but I want to start simple and build from there.

I'm assuming that I have a fridge that maintains a constant temp T1=50F. I assume that my vessel (solid glass k=0.6068 BTU/hr*ft*F) is 1"x1"x1" and has an initial temperature equal to T2=40F. Using Fourier's equation, I=dQ/dt=kAdT/dx, where k is the thermal conductivity of glass, A is 1 sq. in, and dx is 1", I = 0.50736 BTU/hr.

1) How can I calculate how long it will take to reach equilibrium with the air temp in the fridge?

2) If I wanted to make the problem more complicated and model the vessel as a glass cylinder that has a certain height, thickness and cross sectional area, can I say that the glass vessel is a series resistance with the contents inside (water) and repeat the calculation above? So, Req=Rglass + Rwater, Where Rwater = (vessel height)/(pi*r^2*k_water) and Rglass = (vessel height)*(pi*r1^2 - pi*r2^2), where r1-r2 is the thickness of the glass. Then, I = dT/Req. Once I have I, I can determine how long it will take the water in the vessel to cool when the fridge is set to a certain temp ... ? Make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) To calculate how long it will take to reach equilibrium with the air in the fridge, you need to calculate the thermal resistance of the vessel and its contents. This can be done by using Fourier's Law of Heat Conduction: dQ/dt=kA(dT/dx), where k is the thermal conductivity of the vessel material, A is the cross-sectional area of the vessel, and dx is the thickness of the vessel. Once you have the thermal resistance, you can calculate the time it will take for the contents of the vessel to reach equilibrium with the air in the fridge. 2) Yes, you can make the problem more complicated by modeling the vessel as a glass cylinder with a certain height, thickness, and cross sectional area. You can then calculate the total thermal resistance of the glass cylinder and its contents by adding up the resistances of the two components. The resistance of the glass cylinder will be determined by (vessel height)*(pi*r1^2 - pi*r2^2), where r1-r2 is the thickness of the glass. The resistance of the contents in the vessel will be determined by (vessel height)/(pi*r^2*k_water), where k_water is the thermal conductivity of the water. Once you have the total thermal resistance, you can then use Fourier's Law to determine the time it will take for the contents of the vessel to cool when the fridge is set to a certain temperature.

1. How does conduction work in a refrigerator?

Conduction in a refrigerator is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two materials. The cold air inside the refrigerator comes into contact with the warmer air outside, causing the warm air to lose its heat and become colder.

2. What factors affect the rate of conduction in a refrigerator?

The rate of conduction in a refrigerator is affected by the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the refrigerator, the thickness and type of insulation used, and the materials used for the refrigerator walls and doors.

3. How can conduction be minimized in a refrigerator?

To minimize conduction in a refrigerator, good insulation materials should be used to reduce heat transfer, and the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the refrigerator should be kept as small as possible. Additionally, regularly cleaning and maintaining the refrigerator can help improve its efficiency.

4. What are the consequences of poor conduction in a refrigerator?

Poor conduction in a refrigerator can lead to higher energy consumption, as the refrigerator will need to work harder to maintain its temperature. This can result in higher electricity bills and also put more strain on the refrigerator's components, potentially leading to a shorter lifespan for the appliance.

5. Can conduction be used to improve the efficiency of a refrigerator?

Yes, conduction can be used to improve the efficiency of a refrigerator. By using materials with high thermal conductivity for the refrigerator walls and insulation with low thermal conductivity, heat transfer can be minimized, making the refrigerator more energy-efficient.