Solve Disk & Coil Spring Motion: Get Amplitude Help

In summary: Can you fill in the details for this context?In summary, the equation states that if mass is added to the moving system, but not additional energy to do the work, how things must naturally change to adjust to the increased inertia and still move under the influence of the same elastic energy.
Lil123
New user has been reminded to always show their work on schoolwork problems.
Homework Statement
A solid disk of mass M and Raduis R is on vertical .The shaft is
attached to a coil spring that exact a linear restoring torque of magnitude C theta where theta is the angle measured from the static equilibrium position in C is a constant neglect the mass of the shaft and the spring and assume the bearing to be frictionless.

1.Show that the disk and undergo simple harmonic motion motion and find the frequency frequency of the motion

2.Suppose that the disc is moving according to theta equals to theta not sin omega t where Omega is the frequency found in part a at time T1 equals to pi by Omega a ring of sticky putty of mass M and radius R is dropped cocentrically on the disc find the new amplitude of the motion
Relevant Equations
Li =Lf
I was able to solve part 1 but I am not
Screenshot_20230620-095315_Drive.jpg
not getting how to find new amplitude of the motion . Please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
Lil123 said:
2.Suppose that the disc is moving according to theta equals to theta not sin omega t where Omega is the frequency found in part a at time T1 equals to pi by Omega a ring of sticky putty of mass M and radius R is dropped cocentrically on the disc find the new amplitude of the motion
Took me a while to decode that. Do you mean
"Suppose that the disc is moving according to ##\theta=\theta_0\sin (\omega t )## where ω is the frequency found in part 1.
"At time ##T_1 = \pi /\omega## a ring of sticky putty of mass M and radius R is dropped concentrically on the disc. Find the new amplitude of the motion."
?

For part 2, you need to show an attempt. You have quoted the relevant equation. Can you fill in the details for this context?

This is the above question. How do I find new amplitude of the motion ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230620-124937_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230620-124937_Drive.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 47
Lil123 said:
This is the above question. How do I find new amplitude of the motion ?
Using your conservation of angular momentum equation.
What is the total angular momentum of the system just before the putty hits the disc? So what is the angular speed just after?

haruspex said:
Using your conservation of angular momentum equation.
What is the total angular momentum of the system just before the putty hits the disc? So what is the angular speed just after?
Yes , but how do I find angular speed ? .I know angular frequency of the system before and after the putty hits the disc

Lil123 said:
Yes , but how do I find angular speed ? .I know angular frequency of the system before and after the putty hits the disc
You can find the angular speed before the collision either from energy conservation or from the given equation of motion.

Lil123 said:
Relevant Equations: Li =Lf

I was able to solve part 1 but I am not View attachment 328105not getting how to find new amplitude of the motion . Please help me
If mass is added to the moving system, but not additional energy to do the work, how things must naturally change to adjust to the increased inertia and still move under the influence of the same elastic energy?

Please, see:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

Lnewqban said:
the same elastic energy?
Mechanical energy is not conserved here. @Lil123 quoted the relevant equation.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of solving disk and coil spring motion?

The purpose of solving disk and coil spring motion is to determine the amplitude of the motion, which is the maximum displacement from equilibrium, as well as the period, frequency, and other characteristics of the oscillation.

2. How do I calculate the amplitude of disk and coil spring motion?

The amplitude can be calculated by measuring the distance between the equilibrium position and the maximum displacement of the object. Alternatively, it can be calculated using the equation A = F/k, where A is the amplitude, F is the force applied, and k is the spring constant.

3. What factors affect the amplitude of disk and coil spring motion?

The amplitude of disk and coil spring motion is affected by the force applied, the spring constant, and the mass of the object. The amplitude also depends on the initial conditions, such as the initial displacement and velocity of the object.

4. How does the amplitude of disk and coil spring motion change over time?

The amplitude of disk and coil spring motion typically decreases over time due to the effects of damping, which is the dissipation of energy from the system. In a perfectly elastic system, the amplitude would remain constant.

5. What is the relationship between amplitude and frequency in disk and coil spring motion?

The amplitude and frequency of disk and coil spring motion are inversely related. This means that as the frequency increases, the amplitude decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation f = 1/T, where f is the frequency, and T is the period of the oscillation.