Solve Fluids & Forces Problem | Physics Forum

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving fluids and forces, specifically calculating the force on a submerged object with given values for pressure, density, and depth. The conversation also includes a question about a discrepancy between the calculated answer and the expected answer, which is resolved by taking into account gauge pressure.
pianoman2700
[SOLVED] Fluids and Forces

Hi, I'm new to this site, so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post. I found a year-old entry with the same question that I'm having trouble with, found here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=153538"

For Part a, I followed the same method that PremedBeauty followed, but can't seen to get the correct answer. Is there a force that I am missing?

For Part b, I integrated to try and find the total force, but, once again, my answer comes out incorrect. My calculations for part b are below.

F=force
(atm)= atmospheric pressure (in Pascals)
p= density of water
g=gravity
h= depth of water
dh= change in depth of water
A= area = width*h
D = depth (as defined by problem)

F=((atm) + pgh)*A
But because pressure changes with depth, we must integrate
dF = ((atm) + pgh) * (width*dh)
Integrating yields:
F= (atm)(width)(h) + (.5)(p)(g)(h^2) evaluated from 2D to 3D
Evaulating yields:
F= 3D^2((atm) + 1/5pgD) - 2D^2((atm) + pgD)

The answer that I get from this calculation does not agree with the correct answer; is there something I am missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
pianoman2700 said:
Hi, I'm new to this site, so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post. I found a year-old entry with the same question that I'm having trouble with, found here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=153538"

For Part a, I followed the same method that PremedBeauty followed, but can't seen to get the correct answer. Is there a force that I am missing?

Not sure what you are missing since you didn't show the calculation for part a.

For part a you should have:

[tex]F_A = P_A \cdot A_A [/tex]

where,

[tex]F_A[/tex] is the force in Newtons
[tex]P_A[/tex] is the pressure on face A in Pascals
[tex]A_A [/tex] is the area of face A in square meters

If your problem is the same as the picture in the other link then you have,

[tex]P_A = P_{fluid} + P_{atm} [/tex]

and

[tex]A_A = d^2 [/tex]

Hence the force acting on face A is,

[tex]F_A = (P_{fluid} + P_{atm}) \cdot d^2 [/tex]

Now with [tex] P_{fluid} = \rho gh [/tex] and [tex]h = 2d [/tex] you get,

[tex] P_{fluid} = \rho g \cdot 2d[/tex]

Which yields,

[tex]F_A = (\rho g \cdot 2d + P_{atm}) \cdot d^2 [/tex]

Just plug in the value for [tex] P_{atm} [/tex] in pascals, along with the other missing, but given, values and you'll have the force.

CS

Last edited by a moderator:
stewartcs said:
Not sure what you are missing since you didn't show the calculation for part a.

Just plug in the value for [tex] P_{atm} [/tex] in pascals, along with the other missing, but given, values and you'll have the force.

CS

Alright, thank you. I meant to refer calculations for part 1 to those that the previous poster did (as I went through those same steps). I came up with the same answer that was displayed here, but it disagrees with the answer given. An error on the part of the book, I think...

Make sure your units are correct.

BTW, What did the book give for the answer?

I'm not sure; it's an online homework assignment. It tells me if I'm right or wrong, but won't tell me the actual answer until I've gotten it correct.

Are you able to help on the second part? (Part b)

pianoman2700 said:
I'm not sure; it's an online homework assignment. It tells me if I'm right or wrong, but won't tell me the actual answer until I've gotten it correct.

Are you able to help on the second part? (Part b)

You'll have to integrate to find the force.

[tex]F = P_{atm} \cdot A_B + \rho g \int_{a}^{b} h \cdot dA[/tex]

where,

[tex]A_B [/tex] is the area of face B
[tex]h[/tex] is the height
[tex]dA[/tex] is the area of some small strip across the face

The limits of integration, a and b, would be the starting and ending height (depth), i.e. 2d to 3d respectively.

Hope that helps.

CS

stewartcs said:
Hope that helps.

CS

Apparently it only wanted the gauge pressure, so I subtracted out the air pressure, and everything worked out great. Thanks for your help.

No problem. I was going to suggest trying that if you were still having problems.

CS

Related to Solve Fluids & Forces Problem | Physics Forum

1. How do I solve fluid mechanics problems?

To solve fluid mechanics problems, you need to understand the fundamental principles of fluid mechanics, such as Bernoulli's principle, continuity equation, and equations of motion. Then, you can use these principles to set up and solve equations for the problem at hand.

2. What are the most common types of forces in fluid mechanics?

The most common types of forces in fluid mechanics are pressure, buoyancy, and viscosity. Pressure is the force exerted by a fluid on its surroundings, buoyancy is the upward force exerted on an object immersed in a fluid, and viscosity is the resistance of a fluid to flow.

3. How do I determine the forces acting on an object in a fluid?

To determine the forces acting on an object in a fluid, you can use the equations of motion and the principles of fluid mechanics. First, you need to identify all the forces acting on the object, such as gravity, buoyancy, and friction. Then, you can use the equations of motion to solve for the net force on the object.

4. What is the difference between static and dynamic fluids?

Static fluids are at rest, while dynamic fluids are in motion. In static fluids, the pressure is the same at all points within the fluid, whereas in dynamic fluids, the pressure can vary at different points due to the motion of the fluid.

5. Can you provide an example of a fluid mechanics problem?

One example of a fluid mechanics problem is calculating the pressure at different points in a water tank. For this problem, you would need to use the equation of hydrostatic pressure, which states that pressure is equal to the product of the density of the fluid, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the fluid column. You would also need to consider the effects of atmospheric pressure and the depth of the water in the tank.