Solve for Mass and Density of a Floating Cylinder in Fresh Water

In summary, the problem involves a solid cylinder of 350mm diameter and 750mm length floating in fresh water to a depth of 500mm. The mass of the cylinder is determined to be 131kg using the formula mg=pgha. To find the density of the material, simply divide the mass by the volume, which can be calculated using the formula lxd.
series111

Homework Statement

A solid cylinder 350mm in diametre and of total length 750mm floats upright in fresh water to a depth of 500mm determine (a) the mass of the cylinder.(b)the density of the material in the cylinder.

Homework Equations

mg=pgha

The Attempt at a Solution

area= lxd = 0.75x0.35=0.262m

m=pfa as the gravity cancels out m = 1000x0.5x0.262=131kg

it is question b i am struggling with as i have tried rearranging the formula for annother question which i have the answers for and i cannot get the same answer please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
since you have the mass of the cylinder.. density is simply mass divided by the volume..

thanks very much mark

Related to Solve for Mass and Density of a Floating Cylinder in Fresh Water

1. How do you calculate the mass of a floating cylinder in fresh water?

To calculate the mass of a floating cylinder in fresh water, you will need to know the volume of the cylinder and the density of fresh water. Then, you can use the formula: mass = density x volume to find the mass of the cylinder.

2. What is the formula for density?

The formula for density is mass divided by volume. It can be written as: density = mass/volume.

3. How do you determine the volume of a floating cylinder?

The volume of a floating cylinder can be determined by measuring the length, width, and height of the cylinder and using the formula: volume = length x width x height. If the cylinder has a uniform shape, you can also use the formula: volume = π x radius squared x height.

4. What is the density of fresh water?

The density of fresh water is approximately 1000 kg/m^3 (kilograms per cubic meter). This value may vary slightly depending on factors such as temperature and salinity.

5. Can you solve for the mass and density of a floating cylinder in a different liquid?

Yes, the formula for solving for mass and density of a floating cylinder can be applied to any liquid. However, the density of the liquid will need to be known in order to calculate the mass using the formula: mass = density x volume.