Solve for x(t) and v(t) given a Force equation using Mathematica

In summary, the conversation discusses a second order non-linear differential equation and the attempt to solve it using -k/x^2 = md^2x/dt^2. The person is struggling because they have not learned how to solve second order ODEs and their class notes included potential energy. They are seeking help and guidance, including how to solve the problem using Mathematica. The solution involves using the chain rule from calculus and rewriting the force equation as v*dv/dx = F/m.
zeesyk
Capture d’écran 2019-01-24 à 23.09.08.png

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

F= ma or F= md^2x/dt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that this second order differential is non linear. I attempted to solve the problem as -k/x^2 = md^2x/dt^2 but I'm getting trouble since it is a second order ODE and I haven't learned how to solve those yet. I was also looking at my class notes to a similar problem but my professor included potential energy? I'm a bit confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you can also show me how to solve this on Mathematica, that would also be a plus. I don't have any experience with it.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2019-01-24 à 23.09.08.png
    Capture d’écran 2019-01-24 à 23.09.08.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 666
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
update: i think i may have solved the first part? Now I need to figure out to put in on Mathematica.
IMG_3534.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3534.jpg
    IMG_3534.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 365
You need to use the chain rule from calculus.

You know that a = dv/dt.

However, this can also be written as a = (dv/dx) * (dx/dt) = v (dv/dx).

This means that your force equation a = F/m can now be written as

[tex]v \frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{F}{m}[/tex]

Consequently, what you need to solve (or integrate) is

[tex]v dv = \frac{F}{m} dx[/tex]

since F is given as a function of x.

Zz.

What is Mathematica?

Mathematica is a computational software program used for solving mathematical equations and performing various scientific calculations. It is commonly used by scientists, engineers, and mathematicians for its powerful capabilities in data analysis, visualization, and programming.

How can Mathematica be used to solve for x(t) and v(t) given a force equation?

Using Mathematica, you can input a force equation and solve for x(t) and v(t) by using the built-in functions for symbolic manipulation and calculus. You can also plot the solutions to visualize the motion of the system over time.

What are the benefits of using Mathematica for solving force equations?

Mathematica allows for quick and accurate calculations, and the ability to handle complex equations and systems of equations. It also has a user-friendly interface and offers various tools for data visualization and analysis.

What are some common challenges when using Mathematica to solve force equations?

One challenge is ensuring that the input equation is correctly formatted and includes all necessary variables and parameters. Another challenge can be interpreting the results, especially when dealing with complex systems or non-linear equations.

Are there any alternatives to using Mathematica for solving force equations?

Yes, there are other computational software programs that can also be used for solving force equations, such as MATLAB, Python, and Maple. However, Mathematica is widely used and has a strong reputation for its capabilities in mathematical and scientific calculations.