Solve Garden Hose Problem: 19.6s to Fill 24L Container

In summary: Please direct all comments to that post. Thanks!In summary, it would take 19.6 seconds to fill a metal container with water using a garden hose with a nozzle radius of 1.2 cm at a speed of 272 cm/s.
Alex Wiseman

Homework Statement

A garden hose is used to fill a large metal container which can hold 24.0 L of liquid. If the radius of the garden hose's nozzle is 1.2 cm, and the speed of the water at this point is 272.0 cm/s, how long (in seconds) would it take to fill the container with water, assuming that none of it splashes out?
Hint: Use the fact that 1 L = 1000 cm3

Placing all relevant data in SI;
24L = 24,000cm3
= 0.024m3

V = 272cm/s
= 2.72 m/s

Homework Equations

ΔV/Δt = Av
Δt = ΔV/Av

The Attempt at a Solution

ΔV(metal container) = 0.024m 3
Δt = ?
A(nozzle) = ∏(0.012)2 = 0.00045m2
v(water) = 2.72m/s

Δt = ΔV/Av
Δt = 0.024/(0.00045)*(2.72)
Δt = 19.6s

Now that I've figured it out, I suppose this doesn't really belong in advanced physics - even though it is part of my undergraduate.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How many centimeters in 1 meter?

24L = 24000 cm^3 (OK)
24L = 24 M^3 (?)

272 cm/s = .272m/s (?!)

What is the formula for the area of a circle given the radius?

(Hint: it's not 2 pi r)

Check your units and formulas, you got some major mistakes in there. This question is easy and mistake proof if you use dimensional anaylsis.

Vadar2012 said:
Check your units and formulas, you got some major mistakes in there.
I am aware I have some major mistakes, which is why I posted it. I need help getting started, I only posted what I had to show I made an attempt.

Edit: Oh I see what you are talking about, yes. This is rather embarrassing. Never trust a friend with conversions...

SteamKing said:
How many centimeters in 1 meter?

24L = 24000 cm^3 (OK)
24L = 24 M^3 (?)

272 cm/s = .272m/s (?!)

What is the formula for the area of a circle given the radius?

(Hint: it's not 2 pi r)
I fixed up the silly mistakes, it is 1:00am and I've been reviewing for nearly 14 hours now. I just need help finding the correct formulas for solving this problem.

You still have a major problem:

24L = 24000 cm^3 OK

24L = 240 m^3 (?!)

I trust you know that if I have a cube which measures 10 cm on each side, the volume of the cube is 10 cm * 10 cm * 10 cm = 1000 cm^3 = 1.0 L

SteamKing said:
You still have a major problem:

24L = 24000 cm^3 OK

24L = 240 m^3 (?!)

I trust you know that if I have a cube which measures 10 cm on each side, the volume of the cube is 10 cm * 10 cm * 10 cm = 1000 cm^3 = 1.0 L
As stated, it's 1:00am :bugeye:
Thanks for pointing that out, any idea where I can start to look for the correct equation? I looked at continuity (as suggested), but I am getting a massive amount of time for that.

Edit: I think I figured it out, it was entirely conversions that threw me off. Wow, how embarrassing.I posted my final answer.

Last edited:

1. How can I solve the garden hose problem of filling a 24L container in 19.6 seconds?

The following steps can help solve the garden hose problem:

• Step 1: Measure the flow rate of your garden hose by filling a 1-liter container and timing how long it takes to fill.
  • Step 2: Calculate the flow rate per second by dividing the volume of water (1 liter) by the time it took to fill (in seconds).
  • Step 3: Multiply the flow rate per second by 19.6 seconds to determine the volume of water that can be filled in 19.6 seconds.
  • Step 4: Divide the volume of water needed (24L) by the result from Step 3 to determine the number of times the container needs to be filled.
  • Step 5: Adjust the flow rate or the size of the container if needed to achieve the desired result.

2. Why is it important to solve the garden hose problem?

Solving the garden hose problem can help save time, water, and energy. It can also prevent water waste and help maintain a sustainable environment.

3. Can I use any garden hose to solve this problem?

No, the flow rate of the garden hose is an important factor in solving this problem. If the flow rate is too slow, it may take longer than 19.6 seconds to fill the container. If the flow rate is too fast, the container may overflow before reaching 24L.

4. What if I don't have a 1-liter container to measure the flow rate?

You can use any container with a known volume and adjust the calculations accordingly. For example, if you use a 2-liter container, you would divide the volume by 2 to get the flow rate per second.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the time it takes to fill the container?

Yes, other factors such as the water pressure, diameter and length of the garden hose, and any obstructions in the hose can also affect the time it takes to fill the container. It's important to consider these factors when solving the garden hose problem.