Solve Huygens' Principle: Find Time & Angle at Interface

In summary, the conversation discusses two parts of a homework question involving wavefronts encountering a vacuum/material interface. Part a) asks for the time it will take for point B of the wavefront to reach the interface, and part b) asks for the new angle at which point C of the wavefront is propagating. The student attempted to solve both parts using geometric and trigonometric relationships, but encountered errors due to missing information and confusion about the given graph.
Ophelia_S2

Homework Statement

a)What is the time t_B it will take for point B of the wavefront to encounter the vacuum/material interface?
Express your answer numerically to two decimal places in units of t_1 (the time it takes light to travel a distance d in a vacuum).

Homework Equations

n=c/v ; v = c/n

The Attempt at a Solution

uh..basically what i did for part a) i set sin(55 degree) = X/d where x is just a arbitary variable i used. Then let d*sin(55 degree) = x. here in the question it state it takes time t_1 to let speed of light travel a distance of d. so i let d = t_1, which will give me an answer of a value corrospond to t_1. However, after i plug in the number i am only getting 1.43(round off) and when i sub them into the system it says error. Most of time if the answer is close enough it will give me a feed back.. but i don't really know what i have done is wrong.. please someoen help me here..

Homework Statement

b)What is the new angle theta at which point C of the wavefront is propagating (relative to a line perpendicular to the vacuum/material interface)? Try to use the fact that you have a spherical wavefront propagating from t=0 at the point where C met the vacuum/material interface until time t_B when the wavefront at point B reached the interface.
Express your answer in terms of inverse trig functions and n (idex refreation i believe).

Homework Equations

d_c=(c*t_b)/n (this comes from part of the question i answer which is correct, and i believe
i suppose to sub the number d_c with those value to get my answer express for part b)

The Attempt at a Solution

btw, for part b) it's similar geometric problem and my attemps are the follow. set r = d_c, cos(theta) = r/a where a is the arbitary variable i use for hyp of the trig triangle. and a = r/cos(theta. Further more sin(35 degree) = d/a and a=d/sin(35 degree). i set both side equal and try to get an expression which work out to be d cos(theta) = r sin(35 degree). However when i sub the number from above equation in, i end up canceling everything and left with inverse cos ( sin 35 degree). can someone please help me out..this question are confusing, and i don't know how i going to approach it.

P.S Thanks to anyone who can give me some tips, mean while i think i will keep trying..the graph i attach to this question is a given graph that relevant for both question. sorry for any unclear part, this is my first time posting..

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    243.8 KB · Views: 1,433
Physics news on Phys.org
You are clearly referencing additional information since you appear to be pulling numbers out of thin air. We don't know what information was given nor what any of the symbols mean. It's impossible to know what was expected without this additional information. That's why we ask that you please post the complete problem statement when seeking help.

1. What is Huygens' Principle?

Huygens' Principle is a theory in physics that states that every point on a wavefront can be considered as a new point source, creating secondary wavelets that spread out in all directions. These secondary wavelets then combine to form a new wavefront.

2. How is Huygens' Principle used to solve for time and angle at an interface?

Huygens' Principle can be applied to solve for time and angle at an interface by considering the secondary wavelets created at the interface. These secondary wavelets can be used to determine the time and angle at which the wavefront reaches the interface.

3. What is the interface in Huygens' Principle?

The interface in Huygens' Principle refers to the boundary between two mediums where a wavefront travels through. It can be the interface between two different mediums, such as air and water, or the interface between two regions within the same medium, such as a change in density or temperature.

4. Can Huygens' Principle be applied to all types of waves?

Yes, Huygens' Principle can be applied to all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and water waves. It is a fundamental principle in wave theory and is used to explain the behavior of waves in various situations.

5. How can Huygens' Principle be verified experimentally?

Huygens' Principle can be verified experimentally through various methods, such as using diffraction patterns to show the spreading of secondary wavelets, using a ripple tank to demonstrate wave propagation, or using a laser beam to observe the reflection and refraction of light waves at an interface.