Solve Kinematics in 2D Problems | Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses three questions related to kinematics in 2D. The first question involves calculating the distance and angle of a package released from a climbing airplane. The second question asks for the ratio of the height of two buildings based on the distance their thrown stones land. The third question involves determining the minimum average speed at which a tennis player must move to hit a lobbed ball back at a specific point. The conversation also provides tips and equations to help solve these questions.
lotusbloom
Kinematics in 2D ?

i have a few question can someone help me...thanks in advanced

1. An airplane with a speed of 97.5m/s is climbing upward at an angle of 50.0 degree with respect to the horizontal. When the plane's altitude is 732m, the pilot releases a package. (a) calculate the distance along the ground, measured from a point directly beneath the point of release, to where the package hits the earth. (b) relative to the ground, determine the angle of the velocity vector of the package just before impact.

2.Stones are thrown horizontally with the same velocity from the tops of 2 different buildings. One stone lands twice as far from the base of the building from which it was thrown as does the other stone. Find the ratio of the height of the taller building to the height of the shorter building.

3. The lob in tennis is an effective tactic when your opponent is near the net. It consists of lofting the ball over his head, forcing him to move quickly away from the net. Suppose that you loft with an initial speed of 15.0m/s, at an angle of 50.0 degree above horizontal. At this instant your opponent is 10.0m away from the ball. He begins moving away from you 0.30 sec later, hoping to reach the ball and hit it back at the moment that it is 2.10m above its launch point. With what minimum average speed must he move?? ( ignore the fact that he can stretch, so that his racket can reach the ball before he does)

Physics news on Phys.org
To help you with number one, I would recommend drawing a picture and putting what you know. If you use what you have with the equations found in your book (constant acceleration formulas...) then you can probably figure it out. Also, think about what the path of the objective will be when it is released...

The initial velocity of the package is the same with the velocity of the plane at the instant it is released.
[tex]
\begin{multline*}
\begin{split}
&Consider\ the\ vertical\ y\ component:\\
&Use\ s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2\ to\ find\ t\ when\ it\ reaches\ ground.\\
&Use\ the\ t\ to\ find\ the\ horizontal\ distance\ by\ using\ the\ same\ formula\ but\ now\ a=0.\\
&Use\ \vec{v}=\vec{u}+\vec{a}t\ to\ find\ the\ velocity\ in\ term\ of\ \vec{i}\ and\ \vec{j}.\\
\end{split}
\end{multline*}
[/tex]

Attachments

• Picture.GIF
    Picture.GIF
    1.6 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:
[tex]
\begin{multline*}
\begin{split}
&Use\ \vec{s}=\vec{s_o}+\vec{u}t+\frac{1}{2}\vec{a}t^2\\
&Consider\ the\ shorter\ building:\\
&s\vec{i}=h\vec{j}+ut_1\vec{i}-\frac{g}{2}t^2_1\vec{j}\\
&where\ t_1\ is\ the\ time\ to\ reach\ the\ ground\\
&Consider\ the\ taller\ building:\\
&2s\vec{i}=H\vec{j}+ut_2\vec{i}-\frac{g}{2}t^2_2\vec{j}\\
&where\ t_2\ is\ the\ time\ to\ reach\ the\ ground\\
\end{split}
\end{multline*}
[/tex]
Solve the equations.

Attachments

• Picture.GIF
    Picture.GIF
    1.5 KB · Views: 438

Related to Solve Kinematics in 2D Problems | Physics

1. What is kinematics in 2D and why is it important in physics?

Kinematics in 2D is the study of motion in two dimensions, involving both the horizontal and vertical components. It is important in physics because it helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other in real-world scenarios, such as projectile motion or circular motion.

2. What are the key equations used to solve kinematics problems in 2D?

The key equations used to solve kinematics problems in 2D are the equations of motion, including the displacement equation (Δx = v0t + ½at2), the velocity equation (v = v0 + at), and the acceleration equation (vf = v0 + at).

3. How do you approach solving a kinematics problem in 2D?

The first step in solving a kinematics problem in 2D is to identify the given information, including the initial and final velocities, acceleration, and time. Then, use the appropriate equation(s) to solve for the unknown quantity. It is important to pay attention to the direction and sign of the quantities in order to get an accurate solution.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving kinematics problems in 2D?

One common mistake to avoid is mixing up the horizontal and vertical components of motion. It is important to keep track of which direction is which and use the correct equations accordingly. Another mistake is forgetting to include the initial velocity when solving for the final velocity. Lastly, it is important to use consistent units throughout the problem.

5. Can kinematics in 2D be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, kinematics in 2D can be applied to real-world situations. For example, it can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, the motion of a roller coaster, or the movement of a satellite in orbit. It is a fundamental concept in physics that has many practical applications in the real world.