Solve Lift Fan Problems: 6hp Engine, 5 Blades, 45 Degrees

• Thread starter shark hovercraft
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fan Lift
In summary, the problem is that one side of the 5 bladed fan, which is being turned by a 6hp engine at a 45 degree angle, is drawing air in while the other side is blowing air out. The fan is located 17" above the ground and 4" below the deck, running parallel to the ground at 3200rpms. The OP is looking for assistance in understanding what may be causing this issue and how to fix it.
shark hovercraft
TL;DR Summary
fan sucks on one side and blows on the other.
Have a 6hp engine turning a 5 bladed fan at 45 degrees. this is my lift fan. The problem is that right side is drawing air in while the left side seem to be blowing air out. The fan is 17" above the ground, and 4" below the deck and parallel to the ground running at 3200rpms.
What am I doing wrong?

regards
Frustrated

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your question is very confusing. I can't understand what you are asking. Can you post a picture or a sketch?

Likes 256bits and russ_watters
shark hovercraft said:
Summary:: fan sucks on one side and blows on the other.

The problem is that one side is drawing air in while the other side seem to be blowing air out
This is the confusing sentence.
Fans are made to suck in on one side and blow out the other if we are talking about the axial direction.
I suspect this is not the 'sides' you are referring to, but rather something along the line such as ' on the intake'.
You might want to be more explicit in what is occurring.

Likes russ_watters
shark hovercraft said:
one side is drawing air in while the other side seem to be blowing air out.
That's what fans DO :smile:

Likes russ_watters
shark hovercraft said:
Summary:: fan sucks on one side and blows on the other.

Have a 6hp engine turning a 5 bladed fan at 45 degrees. this is my lift fan. The problem is that one side is drawing air in while the other side seem to be blowing air out. The fan is 17" above the ground, and 4" below the deck and parallel to the ground running at 3200rpms.
What am I doing wrong?

regards
Frustrated
Welcome to PF.

The more information you can give us, the better the help you will get. Do you have any diagrams and/or pictures of your prototype? What is the area of the overall deck and the skirt height (21"?). Does the skirt inflate okay? How tightly ducted is your fan?

This reminds me of an event in my own undergraduate days, long, long ago, at a time before anyone had been able to make a hover craft work. One of our faculty members was working on the idea, building what he hoped might work. I was watching another failed test run one day when a second faculty member commented in a stage whisper: "He's got to start using his slide rule and quite relying on counting on his fingers." Presumably that does not apply to the present OP.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
shark hovercraft said:
The problem is that right side is drawing air in while the left side seem to be blowing air out.
Guess the problem is, that a vertical suck/blow is expected, not a horizontal one.

shark hovercraft said:
Have a 6hp engine turning a 5 bladed fan at 45 degrees.
Guess this 45 degree is the angle of the blades?
Honestly, 45 degree blade pitch stinks of DIY and flirts with centrifugal type fans.
I think it would help you a lot to 'consult' with some factory-made fans about this.

Ps.: an external cover/ring around the fan would also help a lot, I think. Unless you plan to use it as a mower too.

Likes russ_watters
We need a picture of the fan and blades.
They should be twisted and with an airfoil shaped section.
I would expect the fan to be in a curved duct that guides airflow in and out of the fan.

Likes russ_watters
I was going to let the fan thing go until we got more info, but yeah, if it is axial and not twisted that's a problem. If it is centrifugal, flat and angled blades are an option, but curved airfoil is better. It's just not a total no-no like a flat axial blade would be.

Based on his chosen username, this may be what he's trying to duplicate:

https://www.wired.com/2009/03/audi-shark-conc/

The Audi Shark concept is 26-year-old Kazim Doku's winning entry into a design competition (.pdf) co-sponsored by Audi and Milan's Domus Academy. And while the Shark may wear the four ring Audi badge, it's not a car but a hovercraft. Still, you can see some familiar elements of Walter de'Silva's signauture style, something Doku told us he tried to emulate when designing the Shark.

1631647935080.png

berkeman said:
Based on his chosen username, this may be what he's trying to duplicate:
I have an idea ... how about we all just guess what he's talking about since he apparently isn't going to tell us. He was here this morning but did not bother to responded to the posts from prior to that.

Likes Dr.D, jrmichler and berkeman
[Mentor Note -- the OP just now replied, but that reply was deleted by me because there were issues with it. Hopefully he replies soon with pictures and clarifications]

What is the purpose of a lift fan?

A lift fan is a type of fan used in aircraft to provide vertical lift, allowing the aircraft to take off and land vertically. It is typically used in conjunction with other propulsion systems, such as jet engines.

What are some common problems with lift fans?

Some common problems with lift fans include blade damage, engine failure, and overheating. These issues can be caused by a variety of factors, such as improper maintenance, design flaws, or external factors like debris or extreme weather conditions.

What are the specifications of the lift fan in question?

The lift fan in question has a 6 horsepower engine and 5 blades, with each blade angled at 45 degrees. This information is important for troubleshooting and determining potential solutions for any problems that may arise.

How can I solve lift fan problems?

The best way to solve lift fan problems is to first identify the specific issue and then address it accordingly. This may involve performing maintenance, repairing or replacing damaged components, or adjusting the angle or speed of the blades. It is also important to follow proper maintenance and operational procedures to prevent future problems.

Can I prevent lift fan problems from occurring?

While some lift fan problems may be unavoidable, there are steps that can be taken to minimize the risk of issues. Regular maintenance and inspections can help identify and address potential problems before they become major issues. Additionally, following proper operating procedures and avoiding external factors that may damage the lift fan can also help prevent problems.