Solve Linear Programming Problem: Maximize File Storage

In summary, to maximize the storage capacity, the office manager needs to buy x number of Cabinets A and y number of Cabinets B. The maximum storage capacity is 63 ft^2.
dnt
i believe this type of question falls under linear programming but I am not sure.

anyways, can someone help me out with this question:

An office manager needs to buy new filing cabinets. Cabinet A costs $15, takes up 6 ft^2 of space and holds 8 ft^3 of files. Cabinet B costs $10, takes up 9 ft^2 of space and holds 14 ft^3 of files. He has $60 to spend and the office has room for no more than 63 ft^2 of cabinets. How many of each can he buy to maximize the storage capacity? What is the maximum storage capacity?

can someone help me set up the problem? do i set up variables for price, space, and files?

Physics news on Phys.org
can someone help me set up the problem? do i set up variables for price, space, and files?
Sure! Variables are good. Do those variables capture every aspect of the problem, though?

How many of each
I suspect that the number of type A and the number of type B would be good variables too.

To be honest, though, I wouldn't really do this problem algebraically: I would do it by brute force. There are only 5 possibilities to consider: the number of type A that he buys.

This is indeed a linear programming problem.
You can reduce the variables to only two:

x - number of Cabinets A
y - number of Cabinets B

The other "pseudovariables" can be easily deduced by the two above:
The space occupied by x Cabinets A is equal to 6x ft2 and the space occupied by y Cabinets B is equal to 9y ft2.

Hope I could help.
See- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Programming
http://people.brunel.ac.uk/~mastjjb/jeb/or/lp.html

Last edited by a moderator:
This is indeed a linear programming problem.
You can reduce the variables to only two:
But because you can doesn't mean you should! I think a lot of time people are being confused because they're trying to do too much in their head! In those cases, making more variables can make things cleaner. They can always be eliminated later when solving the problem, once set up.

Hurkyl said:
But because you can doesn't mean you should! I think a lot of time people are being confused because they're trying to do too much in their head! In those cases, making more variables can make things cleaner. They can always be eliminated later when solving the problem, once set up.

Ok. It's your opinion and I understand it. But I think it's easier to resolve the problem if we reduce it in the beginning just to two variables. In linear programming problems you determine the optimal solution usually by visualizing the figure that result from the intersection of various inequations. If you have two variables the representation would be a polygon represented in a two-dimensional coordinate system, if you have three it will need to represented in a three-dimensional coordinate system and so on.

thanks for the help guys. I am starting to get it. if use the variable A and B to represent how many of each he buys, i have teh following equations:

15A + 10B = 60 (money)
6A + 9B = 63 (space)
8A + 14B = ? (file storage)

what do i do with these equations? how do i solve them and figure out the max values?

Related to Solve Linear Programming Problem: Maximize File Storage

1. What is linear programming?

Linear programming is a mathematical method used to optimize a linear objective function, subject to linear equality and inequality constraints. It involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a linear function, also known as the objective function, within a set of constraints.

2. How do you set up a linear programming problem?

To set up a linear programming problem, you must first identify the decision variables, the objective function, and the constraints. The decision variables are the unknown quantities that you want to optimize, the objective function is the linear function representing the goal, and the constraints are the limitations that the decision variables must satisfy.

3. How do you solve a linear programming problem?

To solve a linear programming problem, you can use various techniques such as the graphical method, the simplex method, or the interior-point method. These methods involve finding the optimal solution by iteratively improving the objective function value while satisfying all the constraints.

4. How do you maximize file storage using linear programming?

To maximize file storage using linear programming, you would need to identify the decision variables, such as the amount of storage for each file type, the objective function, which would be the total amount of storage, and the constraints, such as the maximum storage capacity and the minimum storage requirements for each file type.

5. What are the limitations of linear programming?

Linear programming has some limitations, such as the assumption of linearity, which may not hold in some real-world problems. It also requires a single optimal solution, which may not be practical in some cases. Additionally, it can be computationally intensive for large-scale problems.