Solve Mass Suspension by Component Method

In summary: I think what might be confusing you is that there are two ropes and two tensions. What you are forgetting is that each rope has a component of tension in the x-direction (pulling towards the left or right), a component in the y-direction (pulling upward or downward) and a component in the z-direction (pulling forward or backward). The 200 N force is acting in the z-direction, so it will affect the tension in both ropes in that direction. By using the component method, you can break down the tension in each rope into its x, y, and z components, and then use those components to find the overall tension in each rope.
yoyo16

Homework Statement

A mass of 100 kg is suspended by two ropes that make an angle of 60 degrees to the horizontal. If a horizontal pull of 200N, in a plane perpendicular to the plane of the other forces is applied find the tensions in the ropes after equilibrium has occurred.

Homework Equations

Component Method

The Attempt at a Solution

T1cos60=T2cos60
T2=(T1cos60)/(cos60)

Fx=-T1cos60+T2cos60
Fy=T1sin60+T2sin60-Fg

Sub in T2 into equation
Fy=T1sin60+T2sin60-Fg
= (T1sin60)+((T1cos60)/(cos60))(sin60)
= T1sin60+T1(0.866)
=T1(sin60+0.866)=(100)/(9.8)
T1=T2=565.8

Can someone please tell me if I did this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't look it. You solved the problem without the 200 N force.

What would the 200 N force be?

The one in the problem statement:
If a horizontal pull of 200N, in a plane perpendicular to the plane of the other forces is applied find the tensions in the ropes after equilibrium has occurred.

Yes but how would I put that in the equation? When using the component method and drawing the diagram where would I place the 200N?

"In the plane perpendicular to the plane of the other forces." If the tensions and weights are initially lying in the xy-plane, the horizontal 200-N force would point in the z direction.

Would the 200N be for both ropes? And if the 200N was for the z direction, how would you find the tension of the ropes? Wouldn't the 200N be the tension then?

This is a bit of a complicated problem geometrically. Before you start worrying about the forces involved, you need to consider in detail the 3D geometry (after the 200 N force has been applied). When the 200 N force pushes horizontally on the mass, the plane that had originally contained the two ropes and the mass rotates out of the vertical by an angle of, say, θ. The two ropes now have components in all three spatial directions. The simplest thing to do is to resolve the unit vector pointing in the direction along each of the ropes into components in the x, y, and z directions (in terms of i, j, k, and the angle θ). You can then draw a free body diagram of the mass, and do force balances in the x, y, and z directions in terms of θ. This will allow you to solve for the tensions in the ropes and the angle θ. Figuring out the geometry and resolving the rope unit vectors into components is the complicated part of this problem.

Chet

You can also reduce it to a two-dimensional problem in the plane of the ropes. That makes the geometry a lot simpler.

vela said:
You can also reduce it to a two-dimensional problem in the plane of the ropes. That makes the geometry a lot simpler.
Yes. Excellent suggestion. I like that much better.

Chet

I'm still not understanding the concept of the 200N. Is it not possible to solve it without taking account of the horizontal pull. By using the horizontal pull, how would you use the component method? Can someone please try explaining this to me, I'm so confused. :0

Step 1 is drawing a figure looking edge-on on the plane containing the ropes, after the 200 N force is applied. Can you please show us what your figure looks like.

Chet

yoyo16 said:
I'm still not understanding the concept of the 200N. Is it not possible to solve it without taking account of the horizontal pull.
Of course not. The problem is asking you to find the tension in the ropes when the system is in equilibrium when the 200-N force is applied. You can't possibly get the right answer if you omit that force.

By using the horizontal pull, how would you use the component method? Can someone please try explaining this to me, I'm so confused. :0
It seems to me you might not even understand the basic configuration of the ropes, mass, and force. If you don't understand that, you can't possibly hope to even begin analyzing the situation. It would help if, as Chet suggested, you show us a sketch (or two) of what you think is going on.

1. How does the component method help in solving mass suspension?

The component method is a mathematical approach that allows us to break down a complex system into smaller, more manageable components. In the case of mass suspension, it helps us to analyze the forces acting on each individual component and determine how they contribute to the overall suspension system. This approach simplifies the problem and makes it easier to understand and solve.

2. What components are typically considered in the mass suspension system?

The components that are usually considered in mass suspension systems include the mass of the suspended object, the spring constant of the suspension system, the damping coefficient, and the external forces acting on the system. These components play a crucial role in determining the behavior of the suspension system.

3. Can the component method be used for any type of suspension system?

Yes, the component method can be applied to any type of suspension system, including those with complex geometries and different types of springs. As long as we have a clear understanding of the forces acting on each component and their interactions, we can use the component method to solve the system.

4. Are there any limitations to using the component method for solving mass suspension?

While the component method is a useful tool for solving mass suspension problems, it does have its limitations. For example, it assumes that the components are in static equilibrium, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, it may not be suitable for systems with highly non-linear behavior.

5. Are there any practical applications of solving mass suspension by the component method?

Yes, there are many practical applications of using the component method to solve mass suspension problems. It is commonly used in the design and analysis of suspension systems in vehicles, such as cars, trucks, and trains. It is also used in engineering and construction to analyze and optimize the suspension of structures such as bridges and buildings.