Solve Math Doubt: Why Did This Happen?

• Thread starter iZnoGouD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doubt
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dividing by zero and its applications in mathematics and digital signal processing. It also touches on the idea of taking limits and how it can lead to well-defined numbers even if it involves dividing by zero. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the importance of understanding the context and implications of mathematical operations rather than just focusing on the numerical values.
iZnoGouD
can you explain why this happen? i can't understand

limite.png

thks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
They're kinda the same thing...

[itex]\frac{1}{0} = \infty[/itex]
[itex]\sin^2(0) = 0[/itex]

so

[itex]\frac{\sin^2(0)}{0} = \underbrace{\frac{0}{0}}_\text{ind.} = \frac{1}{0}\cdot\frac{0}{1} = \underbrace{\infty\cdot0}_\text{ind.} = \frac{1}{0}\cdot\frac{\sin^2(0)}{1}[/itex]

Use l'Hôpital's rule to find the value for this limit.

If [itex]\lim\limits_{x\to\alpha}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \frac{0}{0} \mathrm{or} \pm\frac{\infty}{\infty}[/itex], then [itex]\lim\limits_{x\to\alpha}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \lim\limits_{x\to\alpha}\frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}[/itex]

so, define functions...

[itex]f: x \ {\mapsto}\ \sin\left(\frac{1}{2} \, x\right)^{2}[/itex]

[itex]g: x \ {\mapsto}\ x^{2}[/itex]

Differentiate until you aren't going to get an indeterminate value (that is, make sure that the denominator does not equal zero).

[itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}g}{\mathrm{d}x} = 2 \, x[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^{2}g}{\mathrm{d}x^{2}} = 2[/itex]

So now the denominator will never equal zero. Differentiate [itex]f[/itex] the same number of times.

[itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}f}{\mathrm{d}x} = \sin\left(\frac{1}{2} \, x\right) \cos\left(\frac{1}{2}
\, x\right)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^{2}f}{\mathrm{d}x^{2}} = -\frac{1}{2} \, \sin\left(\frac{1}{2} \, x\right)^{2} +
\frac{1}{2} \, \cos\left(\frac{1}{2} \, x\right)^{2}[/itex]

Now divide the functions

[itex] \frac{f''(x)}{g''(x)} = -\frac{1}{4} \, \sin\left(\frac{1}{2} \, x\right)^{2} +
\frac{1}{4} \, \cos\left(\frac{1}{2} \, x\right)^{2} [/itex]

simplifies to

[itex] \frac{f''(x)}{g''(x)} = \frac{1}{2} \, \cos\left(\frac{1}{2} \, x\right)^{2} -
\frac{1}{4} [/itex]

now take the limit as [itex]x[/itex] tends to zero

[itex] \lim\limits_{x\to0}\frac{1}{2} \, \cos\left(\frac{1}{2} \, x\right)^{2} -
\frac{1}{4} = \frac{1}{2} \, \cos\left(0\right)^{2} -
\frac{1}{4} = \frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{4} = \frac{1}{4} [/itex]

And, to bring it all together:

[itex]\lim\limits_{x\to0}\dfrac{\sin^{2}\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)}{x^{2}} = \lim\limits_{x\to0}\frac{1}{2} \, \cos\left(\frac{1}{2} \, x\right)^{2} -
\frac{1}{4} = \frac{1}{4}[/itex]

I hope that helps!

Last edited:
I still don't understand why people want to divide by zero. It's completely nonsense...

Hey, I've never understood why people want to eat Haggis!

People continue to act irrationally!

Levex said:
I still don't understand why people want to divide by zero. It's completely nonsense...

It's sort of completely nearly nonsense... If the limit of whatever/x as x->0 is the same from both sides, then I call that close enough as long as it's not part of some weird "1=0" abuse of math. It is possible that I just haven't taken enough classes to know that I'm wrong, though.

Digital signal processing makes uses of poles and the [itex]\mathrm{sinc}(x)[/itex] function.

The normalized [itex]\mathrm{sinc}(x)[/itex] function:

[itex]
\mathrm{sinc}(x) = \left\{
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & \text{if} \quad x = 0\\
\frac{\sin(\pi \, x)}{\pi \, x} & \text{if} \quad x \neq 0
\end{array}
\right.
[/itex]

Has uses in DSP as its Fourier Transform is the rectangle function, which is the ideal low-pass filter.

[itex]
\mathrm{rect}(\xi) = \mathcal{F}_t\left[\frac{\sin(\pi \, x)}{\pi \, x}\right]\left(\xi\right)
[/itex]

Poles in filters determine the Q-factor, or bandwidth of the filter. I think, anyway. Or what frequencies a filter affects. I don't remember, I read some college DSP notes when high school trig was getting boring, so it went over my head a little.

[itex]
\dfrac{\omega^{3} - 17 \, \omega^{2} + 94 \, \omega - 168}{\omega^{3} - 14 \, \omega^{2} + 51 \, \omega
- 54} = \dfrac{{\left(\omega - 7\right)} {\left(\omega - 6\right)} {\left(\omega -
4\right)}}{{\left(\omega - 9\right)} {\left(\omega - 3\right)} {\left(\omega -
2\right)}}
[/itex]

The above has zeros at [itex]\omega = \left[7, 6, 4\right][/itex] and poles at [itex]\omega = \left[9, 3, 2\right][/itex].

Division by zero has its uses. I'm not sure outside of DSP, though.

You're not actually dividing by zero. You come close to dividing by zero, never do, and the ratios of the two functions that are heading to zero, that ratio may actually head towards a well-defined number.

Sorry to burst your "ooh, there's a rip in the space-time continuum" bubble.

algebrat said:
You're not actually dividing by zero. You come close to dividing by zero, never do, and the ratios of the two functions that are heading to zero, that ratio may actually head towards a well-defined number.

Sorry to burst your "ooh, there's a rip in the space-time continuum" bubble.

This is true. But we are talking about limits, so I figured that that was implied.

daniel.e2718 said:
This is true. But we are talking about limits, so I figured that that was implied.

Again, there's no dividing by 0, just taking a limit. So with the greatest possible respect, shaddap. There's a lot of stuff taking limits is useful for, and if plugging in happens to result in 0/0, it's just one you can't solve by just plugging in.

Related to Solve Math Doubt: Why Did This Happen?

1. Why is it important to solve math doubt?

Solving math doubt is important because it helps us understand concepts and principles of mathematics, which are essential in many fields such as science, engineering, and finance. It also improves critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities.

2. How do I approach solving a math doubt?

To solve a math doubt, it is important to first identify the specific concept or problem that is causing confusion. Then, review related materials such as lecture notes, textbooks, or online resources to gain a better understanding. If needed, seek help from a teacher or tutor.

3. What are some common reasons for having math doubts?

Math doubts can arise from a variety of reasons, including lack of understanding of fundamental concepts, not paying attention in class, or rushing through problems without fully comprehending the steps. It can also be caused by anxiety or fear of math.

4. How can I prevent future math doubts?

To prevent future math doubts, it is important to actively engage in class, take thorough notes, and practice regularly. It is also helpful to ask questions and seek clarification when needed. Additionally, developing good study habits and seeking help when needed can prevent future math doubts.

5. Are there any resources available to help me solve math doubts?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you solve math doubts. These include textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. Your teacher or tutor can also provide guidance and assistance in solving math doubts.