Solve Math Problem: Mixing Milk & Water to Get 50% Milk

In summary, we are given a person who has 40 litres of milk and sells half a litre each time before mixing the remainder with half a litre of water. By setting a characteristic equation and solving for the root, we find that after 55 repetitions, the amount of milk in the mixture will be less than 50% of the original amount.
WMDhamnekar
MHB
Hi,

A person has 40 litres of milk. As soon as he sells half a litre, he mixes the remainder with half a litre of water. How often can he repeat the process, before the amount of milk in the mixture is 50% of the whole?
Detailed explanation is appreciated.:)
Solution:

I am working on this problem. Meanwhile if any member of math help boards knows the correct answer, may reply to this question with correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would begin by letting \(M_n\) be the amount of milk in the mixture (in L) after the \(n\)th step/transaction. So, we have:

\(\displaystyle M_0=40\)

\(\displaystyle M_1=39.5\)

Now, during the second transaction, we don't have 0.5 L of milk leaving, we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{M_1}{M_0}\cdot\frac{1}{2}\) liters leaving. This suggests to me that we may state:

\(\displaystyle M_n=M_{n-1}-\frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac{M_{n-1}}{M_{0}}=M_{n-1}\left(\frac{2M_0-1}{2M_0}\right)\)

What is the root of the characteristic equation?

MarkFL said:
I would begin by letting \(M_n\) be the amount of milk in the mixture (in L) after the \(n\)th step/transaction. So, we have:

\(\displaystyle M_0=40\)

\(\displaystyle M_1=39.5\)

Now, during the second transaction, we don't have 0.5 L of milk leaving, we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{M_1}{M_0}\cdot\frac{1}{2}\) liters leaving. This suggests to me that we may state:

\(\displaystyle M_n=M_{n-1}-\frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac{M_{n-1}}{M_{0}}=M_{n-1}\left(\frac{2M_0-1}{2M_0}\right)\)

What is the root of the characteristic equation?
So the answer to this question is $\frac{\ln{(0.5)}}{\ln{(0.9875)}}=55.1044742773$

The characteristic root is:

\(\displaystyle r=\frac{2M_0-1}{2M_0}\)

And so the closed form is:

\(\displaystyle M_n=c_1\left(\frac{2M_0-1}{2M_0}\right)^n\)

Now, we know:

\(\displaystyle M_0=c_1\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle M_n=M_0\left(\frac{2M_0-1}{2M_0}\right)^n\)

To answer the question, we now want to solve:

\(\displaystyle M_n=\frac{1}{2}M_0\)

\(\displaystyle M_0\left(\frac{2M_0-1}{2M_0}\right)^n=\frac{1}{2}M_0\)

\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{2M_0-1}{2M_0}\right)^n=\frac{1}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle n=\frac{\ln(2)}{\ln\left(\dfrac{2M_0}{2M_0-1}\right)}\)

Using \(M_0=40\), we have:

\(\displaystyle n=\frac{\ln(2)}{\ln\left(\dfrac{80}{79}\right)}\approx55.10447\quad\checkmark\)

So, we find that on the 56th repetition of the process, the mixture will be less than 50% milk.

1. How do I solve a math problem involving mixing milk and water to get 50% milk?

To solve this problem, you will first need to determine the amount of milk and water that you have. Let's say you have 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of water. To get 50% milk, you will need to have a total of 2 cups of liquid (1 cup milk + 1 cup water). This means that you will need to add 1 cup of milk to the 1 cup of water to get a total of 2 cups of liquid with 1 cup being milk. This will give you a 50% milk solution.

2. Do I need to use any specific measurements or units for this problem?

Yes, it is important to use consistent measurements and units when solving this problem. In this case, we are using cups as our unit of measurement. It is important to use the same unit for both the milk and water to ensure accuracy in your calculations.

3. Can I use any type of milk for this problem?

Yes, you can use any type of milk for this problem. The type of milk will not affect the solution as long as you use the same type of milk for both the initial amount and the amount you are adding.

4. What if I have a different ratio of milk and water, how do I solve the problem?

If you have a different ratio of milk and water, you can still use the same approach to solve the problem. For example, if you have 2 cups of milk and 1 cup of water, you will need to add 1 cup of milk to the 1 cup of water to get a total of 3 cups of liquid with 2 cups being milk. This will give you a 66.67% milk solution.

5. Can I use a different total amount of liquid for this problem?

Yes, you can use a different total amount of liquid for this problem. The key is to maintain the same ratio of milk and water to achieve a 50% milk solution. For example, if you have 3 cups of liquid, you will need to have 1.5 cups of milk and 1.5 cups of water to get a 50% milk solution.