Solve MathType Issues in WordPerfect XP & Word 2003+

• Thread starter crw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    mathtype
In summary, WordPerfect 12, XP, and MathType 5.2 produce equations that look okay when saved as Word 2003+ files, but when opened in Word, the equations become distorted and unreadable. The font of the equations is wrong and the layout is far too large. Upgrading to the latest version of XP or MathType or saving the equations as RTF files may help.
crw
I use XP, Wordperfect 12, (X4 on trial), and MathType 5.2. Equations in WP good and conversion to Adobe pdf fine. Saving WP files as Word 2003+ gives equations out-of-line, so distorted as to be unreadable even with Word on same computer with same MathType. Text is fine.
Font of equations in Word appears wrong and far too large. Would appreciate any advice. Could upgrade to X4, MT6.5 but suspect that is not the issue.
crw

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
crw said:
I use XP, Wordperfect 12, (X4 on trial), and MathType 5.2. Equations in WP good and conversion to Adobe pdf fine. Saving WP files as Word 2003+ gives equations out-of-line, so distorted as to be unreadable even with Word on same computer with same MathType. Text is fine.
Font of equations in Word appears wrong and far too large. Would appreciate any advice. Could upgrade to X4, MT6.5 but suspect that is not the issue.
crw

Yes, I suspect that is not the issue either. (BTW, MT6.6 is the current version.) One thing I've had success with in the past is saving WP docs as RTF, then opening the RTF in Word. Haven't tried that with these particular versions of WP/Word/MT, but it's worth a try.

Thanks. I'll try that.

If the equations look all messed up once you open the RTF in Word, try running the Convert Equations command from the MathType menu in Word. Convert "MathType or Equation Editor equations" to "MathType equations (OLE objects)". Seems redundant, but it's not.

Many thanks. This single operation produced a largely correct display in Word with the expressions having the correct font and layout. Left only a few minor issues. The vertical positioning was sometimes wrong by 1/2 to 1 line and some equations were shifted far to the right. In my WP config WP equation box is attached to a character and initially was centered on the line. For a few equations, WP had changed the graphic box settings and it was those equations which were out of line. Also, this works for the body of the document only- footnotes (and I guess endnotes) have to be treated separately.
Thanks again.

1. What is MathType and how is it used in WordPerfect XP and Word 2003?

MathType is a mathematical equation editor that allows users to create and edit mathematical equations and expressions in WordPerfect XP and Word 2003. It is often used in academic and scientific documents to display complex mathematical equations.

2. Why am I experiencing issues with MathType in WordPerfect XP and Word 2003?

There could be several reasons for this, such as compatibility issues between the versions of MathType and WordPerfect XP/Word 2003, corrupt installation files, or conflicts with other programs. It is also possible that the equations were created in a newer version of MathType that is not compatible with the older versions of WordPerfect and Word.

3. How can I troubleshoot and solve MathType issues in WordPerfect XP and Word 2003?

If you are experiencing issues with MathType, try the following troubleshooting steps: 1) Check for updates for MathType and WordPerfect XP/Word 2003; 2) Reinstall MathType and make sure you have the correct version for your Word processing software; 3) Disable any conflicting programs; 4) Try converting the equations to images and importing them into WordPerfect XP/Word 2003; 5) Contact the MathType support team for further assistance.

4. Can I use MathType in other Word processing software?

Yes, MathType is compatible with other word processing software such as Microsoft Word, Google Docs, and OpenOffice. However, the steps for using MathType may vary depending on the software.

5. Is there a way to convert MathType equations to plain text in WordPerfect XP and Word 2003?

Yes, there is a way to convert MathType equations to plain text in WordPerfect XP and Word 2003. Simply right-click on the equation and select "Convert to MathType Equation" from the drop-down menu. This will convert the equation to plain text and allow you to edit it as regular text.