Solve Parametric Equation for Motion of Particle XY

• Thread starter evilpostingmong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parametric
In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a particle described by the equations x=cos(πt) and y=sin(πt). The solution involves solving for t and using the interval of at least one to at most 2. The textbook provides a different but reasonable answer, using the circle equation and ending up with the same diagram and direction. However, the initial equations provided by the person seeking help were incorrect.
evilpostingmong

Homework Statement

Describe motion of a particle w/ position xy

Homework Equations

x=cospi(t) y=sinpi(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

solving for t
t=x/cospi
so y=sinpi(x)/cospi
y=tanpi(x)

interval=at least one at most 2
since tan(x)=0 at pi and 2pi
and this is where the boundaries are so the particle travels from pi and 2pi counterclockwise
but the textbook has a different (but reasonable) answer in that it squares cos pi and
sin pi to equal 1 and uses the circle equation but ends up with the same diagram and
direction. If I went wrong, can you please tell me where I went wrong since my answer
seems legit to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
x= cos[tex]\pi[/tex]t
should become
t=[tex]cos^{-1}x[/tex]/[tex]\pi[/tex]

have some π …

evilpostingmong said:
x=cospi(t) y=sinpi(t)

If I went wrong, can you please tell me where I went wrong since my answer
seems legit to me.

Hi evilpostingmong! :smile:

Your initial equations are wrong.

It isn't x=cosπ(t) y=sinπ(t);

it's x=cos(πt) y=sin(πt).

Now try! :smile:

(oh … and here's some π and other things to pack in your bag …)

Related to Solve Parametric Equation for Motion of Particle XY

1. What is a parametric equation for motion of a particle?

A parametric equation for motion of a particle is a mathematical representation of the position, velocity, and acceleration of a particle in terms of one or more independent variables, typically time.

2. How is a parametric equation for motion of a particle different from a regular equation?

A regular equation typically expresses a relationship between two variables, while a parametric equation expresses how one or more variables change over time. Additionally, a parametric equation allows for more complex and dynamic motions, such as circular or projectile motion.

3. How do you solve a parametric equation for motion of a particle?

To solve a parametric equation for motion of a particle, you must first determine the values of the independent variables, such as time. Then, plug those values into the equations for position, velocity, or acceleration to calculate the corresponding values for the particle at that time.

4. What is the significance of solving a parametric equation for motion of a particle?

Solving a parametric equation for motion of a particle allows for a better understanding and prediction of the particle's position, velocity, and acceleration over time. This is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy, where precise measurements and predictions are necessary.

5. Are there any limitations to using a parametric equation for motion of a particle?

While parametric equations offer a more comprehensive and accurate representation of a particle's motion, they can be more complex and challenging to work with compared to regular equations. Additionally, they may not always accurately represent real-world situations due to external factors such as air resistance or friction.