Solve Pascals Triangle Even Number Sequence w/Fibonacci & Combinations

• Thread starter Noir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the conversation discusses the Sierpinski triangle and the task of finding two general formulas that link the number in a specific sequence with fibonacci and combinations. The first formula involves the number of coloured in even numbers in the largest cluster in the triangle, and the second formula relates to the Fibonacci sequence. The conversation also mentions a formula "F3n - n!" that only works for the first 4 terms in the sequence.
Noir

Homework Statement

In Pascals triange, when you colour in the even numbers you get what is known as the Sierpinski triangle. My task is find two general formula's that link the number in a specific sequence with fibonacci and combinations. The sequence is the amount of coloured in even numbers in the largest cluster in the triangle. The sequence, is "1,6,28,120,456,2016..."

The Attempt at a Solution

I had a hunch about the combination one, where because all evens are divisible by 2, that was apart of it. The formula i got was
Area (or number of evens) = 2^n C 2
(where n is the number in the sequence)
6 is the second number is the sequence, so;
2^2 C 2 = 4 C 2 = 6.
So i have this bit right, but I'm totally stumpted on the fibonacci formula. Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction? I hope I've given enough information for you all, thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
what do you mean by the largest cluster?

edit: scratch that. I figured that part out.

Thanks for your reply. I did some work and got a formula "F3n - n!", but it only worked for the first 4 terms in the sequence...

1. What is Pascals Triangle?

Pascals Triangle is a triangular array of numbers, named after French mathematician Blaise Pascal, in which each row represents the coefficients of the binomial expansion of (a+b)^n.

2. How is Pascals Triangle used to find even number sequences?

Pascals Triangle can be used to find even number sequences by looking at the odd-numbered rows and adding together the numbers in the corresponding columns. The sum of these numbers will always be an even number.

3. What is the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence is a series of numbers in which each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers, starting with 0 and 1. The sequence is as follows: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, etc.

4. How is the Fibonacci sequence related to Pascals Triangle?

The Fibonacci sequence is related to Pascals Triangle through the diagonal rows, also known as the Fibonacci numbers. The Fibonacci numbers can be found by adding the numbers in the diagonal rows of Pascals Triangle.

5. How can combinations be found using Pascals Triangle?

Pascals Triangle can be used to find combinations by looking at the number of ways to choose a certain number of objects from a larger group, also known as binomial coefficients. The binomial coefficients can be found in Pascals Triangle by looking at the numbers in each row and column. For example, the combination of choosing 3 objects from a group of 5 can be found in the 5th row and 3rd column of Pascals Triangle, which is 10.