How to prove that every third Fibonacci number is even?

• Thread starter Eclair_de_XII
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary, we define the Fibonacci sequence using a recurrence relation and prove that a Fibonacci number is divisible by 2 if and only if its corresponding term is a multiple of 3. This is done by showing that the sequence, when taken in sets of 3, follows a pattern of ##1, 1, 0, 1, 1, 0 \dots## modulo 2.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"Consider the sequence ##F_1##, ##F_2##, ##F_3##, . . . , where
##F_1 = 1##, ##F_2 = 1##, ##F_3 = 2##, ##F_4 = 3##, ##F_5 = 5## and ##F_6 = 8##.
The terms of this sequence are called Fibonacci numbers.
(a) Define the sequence of Fibonacci numbers by means of a recurrence relation.
(b) Prove that ##2 | F_n## if and only if ##3 | n##.

Homework Equations

(a) ##F_n=F_{n-2}+F_{n-1}##

The Attempt at a Solution

(b)
Basically, I'm going to express every Fibonacci number in terms of ##mod2## and express ##n## as ##n=3x## for some ##x∈ℕ##.

For ##x=1##, ##F_3=F_1+F_2=1mod2+1mod2=0mod2##.
Then assuming that ##F_{3k}=0mod2## for some ##k>1##, I need to prove that ##F_{3(k+1)}=F_{3k+1}+F_{3k+2}##.

So I have ##F_{3k+1}=0mod2+1mod2## and ##F_{3k+2}=0mod2+1mod2##.
Adding them up gives ##F_{3(k+1)}=F_{3k+1}+F_{3k+2}=0mod2+1mod2+0mod2+1mod2=0mod2##.

And I'm pretty sure this isn't sufficient to complete the inductive proof. Can anyone check my work? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You we're supposed to show iff.

The proof would be simpler if you considered the sequence in sets of 3 and explicitly showed that, modulo 2, the sequence is:

##1, 1, 0,1,1,0 \dots##

1. How do you define a Fibonacci number?

A Fibonacci number is a sequence of numbers where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers, starting with 0 and 1. So the sequence goes: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, etc.

2. Why is it important to prove that every third Fibonacci number is even?

Proving that every third Fibonacci number is even helps to understand the patterns and properties of Fibonacci numbers. It also has applications in various fields such as computer science, number theory, and cryptography.

3. What is the mathematical formula for finding the nth Fibonacci number?

The formula for finding the nth Fibonacci number is Fn = Fn-1 + Fn-2, where F0 = 0 and F1 = 1.

4. How can you prove that every third Fibonacci number is even?

This can be proved using mathematical induction. First, we can prove that the first three Fibonacci numbers (0, 1, and 1) are even. Then, assuming that every third Fibonacci number up to Fn is even, we can show that the (n+1)th Fibonacci number is also even. This proves that every third Fibonacci number is even.

5. What are some real-life examples of Fibonacci numbers?

Fibonacci numbers can be seen in various natural phenomena such as the branching of trees, the arrangement of leaves on a stem, and the spiral patterns of shells and flowers. They can also be found in human-made structures like architecture and art.