Solve Periodic Problem: Find Function $u \in C^2(\mathbb{R})$

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Periodic
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a periodic function with period (b-a) and the use of a periodic function $u \in C^2(\mathbb{R})$ to solve the equation $-u''+qu=f$. A periodic function is defined as having the same value at points $x_i=a+ih$ and $x_i=a+(i+N+1)h$, and this is why $u_{i+N+1}=u_i, i \in \mathbb{Z}$. The conversation also clarifies that the values of $a$ and $b$ are not necessarily equal to $0$ and $N+1$ respectively.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Periodic problem

We are looking for a periodic function $u \in C^2(\mathbb{R})$ with period $(b-a)$

$$-u''+qu=f \text{ where } q,f \text{ periodic functions with period } (b-a) \\ u(a)=u(b) \\ u(x)=u(x+(b-a))$$

$x_i=a+ih \\ h=\frac{b-a}{N+1}$

$\mathbb{R}_{\text{per}}^{N+1}=\{ U=(u_i)_{i \in \mathbb{Z}}: u_i \in \mathbb{R} \text{ and } u_{i+N+1}=u_i, i \in \mathbb{Z}\}$

$-\frac{u_{i-1}-2u_i+u_{i+1}}{h^2}+q(x_i) u_i =f(x_i), i=0,1, \dots, N (\star)$

$u_{-1}=u_N \\ u_{N+1}=u_0$

$U=\begin{bmatrix}
u_0\\
u_1\\
\dots\\
\dots\\
u_N
\end{bmatrix}$

$i=0 \overset{\star}{\Rightarrow} -\frac{u_N-2u_0+u_1}{h^2}+q(x_0) u_0=f(x_0)$

$\dots$

$i=1 \overset{\star}{\Rightarrow} -\frac{u_{N-1}-2u_N+u_0}{h^2}+q(x_N) u_N=f(x_N)$
Could you explain to me why we want that $u_{i+N+1}=u_i, i \in \mathbb{Z}$ ?
Do we suppose that $b=N+1$, $a=0$ ? (Thinking)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Could you explain to me why we want that $u_{i+N+1}=u_i, i \in \mathbb{Z}$ ?
Do we suppose that $b=N+1$, $a=0$ ? (Thinking)

Hey evinda! (Smile)

That's because:
$$u_{i+N+1} = u(x_{i+N+1}) = u(a+(i+N+1)h) = u((a+ih) + (N+1)h) = u(x_i+(b-a)) = u(x_i) = u_i$$
(Mmm)

And no, we wouldn't suppose that $b=N+1$, $a=0$. (Shake)

I like Serena said:
That's because:
$$u_{i+N+1} = u(x_{i+N+1}) = u(a+(i+N+1)h) = u((a+ih) + (N+1)h) = u(x_i+(b-a)) = u(x_i) = u_i$$
(Mmm)

And no, we wouldn't suppose that $b=N+1$, $a=0$. (Shake)
I understand... Thanks a lot! (Smile)

1. What is a periodic function?

A periodic function is a mathematical function that repeats its values at regular intervals or periods. This means that the function has a specific pattern that repeats itself infinitely.

2. What does it mean for a function to belong to the class $C^2(\mathbb{R})$?

A function belonging to the class $C^2(\mathbb{R})$ means that the function is twice continuously differentiable on the real number line. This means that the function has a well-defined first and second derivative at all points on the real number line.

3. How do you solve a periodic problem for a function?

To solve a periodic problem for a function, you need to find a function that satisfies the given conditions and is also periodic. This can be done by using techniques such as Fourier series or by using the properties of periodic functions.

4. What is the importance of solving periodic problems in mathematics and science?

Solving periodic problems is important in mathematics and science as many natural phenomena, such as the movement of planets or the behavior of waves, can be described using periodic functions. By being able to solve these problems, we can gain a deeper understanding of these phenomena and make predictions about their behavior.

5. Can a function be both periodic and continuous?

Yes, a function can be both periodic and continuous. In fact, all periodic functions are continuous as they have a well-defined value at every point in their period. However, not all continuous functions are periodic.