Solve Physics Essay on Wave Power Plants with IB Course

• Thread starter Techlogic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generator
In summary, the conversation is about a user seeking help with their physics essay on wave power plants. They have a coil of N turns spinning with a given function, and are trying to use Lenz's law to calculate the induced emf and current in the coil. The equations for magnetic flux and induced emf are provided, along with instructions on how to calculate the current.
Techlogic
Hello PF, I'm new here but I found you while googling around :> The forum seems great and has large activity, the only thing I miss is a chat function :p Anyways, I came here for some help regarding my physics essay, I'm in my second IB year (if you're familiar with this course) and need some help with the extended essay.This question is about wave power plants

Homework Statement

You have a coil of N turns spinning with the function x(t)=A cos⁡〖2π/T t〗
Where A = 0,01 and T = (2π×0,01)/(-2π/6 1,6 sin⁡〖2π/6〗 t)
yes, the period is messy :d If you question it, I retrieved it from this information:
The waves will travels with the water as their medium, and there will be a deformation in pressure which will cause the buoy to oscillate.
The waves in the water depend on the geographical position and the weather conditions, and therefore the idea will be tested on waves with different properties, and then compared to each other. This will be done in order to investigate how the electricity conducted will change as the waves change, as well as for which waves the idea will be optimal.
For the first case waves found on the west coast of Sweden will be used. These waves have an average wave height of 1,6m and an average period of 6,0 seconds, and we can define our phase shift to be 0. which gives them the function:
X(t)=1,6 cos⁡〖2π/6〗 t
Or, for velocity of the wave:
V(t)=-2π/6 1,6 sin⁡〖2π/6〗 t
We know that the wave will move between +A and –A, which gives us ∆A=3,2m and it will make this change in half a period, 3 seconds. The generator will then spin with a function of ∆A/r 〖δt〗^(-1), where r is the radius of the axis. Since we want the generator to spin as fast as possible, and it will spin faster as r approaches 0, we want r to be as small as possible. However, there will be a limit where the friction won’t be enough to make the generator rotate, therefore a value of r will be chosen where there’s enough friction for the generator to rotate, and r is small enough to cause a high revelations per second. The value chosen for r is 1cm, which will be enough for the generator to spin as well as small enough for the speed to be high.
The function showing the displacement of the generator is
X(t)=A cos⁡〖2π/T t〗

Homework Equations

Flux=BAcos(θ)
ℇ=-N dflux/dt
Lenz' law

The Attempt at a Solution

BAcos(90cos 2π/(2πx0,01/(2π/6 1,6sin 2π/6 t)))=flux

I use values 0,34T for B and 0,1m for A

flux =0,034cos(90cos 2π/(2πx0,01/(2π/6 1,6sin 2π/6 t)))

Problem is, I don't know how to use this information in order to find the relevant information about the current. My guess is that i should take the function for flux and shift it upwards with the amplitude and integrate it. And from there find the maximum emf and the "average" emf (squareroot(y(x)^2). But that'll give a DC current, which I don't have. So i should not shift it upwards and instead just integrate the function as it is? I'm lost :(

P.S Linus, if you got an account here, and I bet you do, It's on its way :d

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The main equation you need to consider here is Lenz's law, which states that the induced emf (electromotive force) in a coil is equal to the negative of the rate of change of magnetic flux. The magnetic flux is given by the equation: Flux = BAcos(θ)Where B is the magnetic field strength and θ is the angle between the field and the coil. Using the information you have provided, you can calculate the flux at any given time t. Once you have the flux, you can then use Lenz's law to calculate the induced emf. The equation for the induced emf is: ℇ = -N dflux/dtWhere N is the number of turns in the coil and dflux/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux.Once you have calculated the induced emf, you can then use this to calculate the current in the coil. This is done by rearranging the equation ℇ = IZ (where I is the current and Z is the impedance of the coil).I hope this helps. Good luck with your essay!

What is a wave power plant?

A wave power plant is a facility that harnesses the energy of ocean waves to generate electricity. It typically consists of a structure built offshore with devices that convert the kinetic energy of waves into electrical energy.

How do wave power plants work?

Wave power plants use various technologies such as floating devices, oscillating water columns, and submerged turbines to capture the energy of ocean waves. The devices are connected to a generator, which converts the mechanical energy into electrical energy.

What are the advantages of wave power plants?

Wave power plants have several advantages over traditional forms of energy generation. They use a renewable resource, ocean waves, and do not produce any greenhouse gas emissions. They also have a smaller physical footprint and do not require large amounts of land, making them less disruptive to the environment.

What are the challenges of implementing wave power plants?

One of the main challenges of wave power plants is their high initial cost, which can make them less economically viable compared to other forms of energy. They also face technical challenges, such as withstanding harsh ocean conditions and efficiently converting wave energy into electricity.

How does the IB course relate to wave power plants?

The IB (International Baccalaureate) course covers a wide range of subjects, including physics and environmental science, which are both relevant to understanding and evaluating wave power plants. The IB also emphasizes critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are crucial for analyzing and improving renewable energy technologies like wave power plants.

Back