Solve problem- Identity matrix

In summary: Nerd)In summary, the problem is solved by solving the following linear programming problem:-Minimize $-5y_1+10y_2-7y_3+3y_4$ where $y_1, y_2, y_3, y_4$ are arbitrary integers.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to solve the following linear programming problem:

$$\min (5y_1-10y_2+7y_3-3y_4) \\ y_1+y_2+7y_3+2y_4=3 \\ -2y_1-y_2+3y_3+3y_4=2 \\ 2y_1+2y_2+8y_3+y_4=4 \\ y_i \geq 0, i \in \{ 1, \dots, 4 \}$$

$\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1 & 7 & 2 & | & 3\\
-2 & -1 & 3 & 3 & | & 2\\
2 & 2 & 8 & 1 & | & 4
\end{bmatrix} \to \begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1 & 7 & 2 & | & 3\\
0 & 1 & 17 & 7 & | & 8\\
0 & 0 & 6 & 3 & | & 2
\end{bmatrix}$

So the problem is written equivalently as follows:

$$-\max (-5y_1+10y_2-7y_3+3y_4) \\ y_1+y_2+7y_3+2y_4=3 \\ y_2+17y_3+7y_4=8 \\ 6y_3+3y_4=2 \\ y_i \geq 0, i \in \{ 1, \dots, 4 \}$$But we want the $3 \times 3$ identity matrix to appear at the matrix that represents the linear programming problem, right?

So we solve the following problem, right?$$-\max (-5y_1+10y_2-7y_3+3y_4) \\ y_1+y_2+7y_3+2y_4=3 \\ y_2+17y_3+7y_4+y_5=8 \\ 6y_3+3y_4+y_6=2 \\ y_i \geq 0, i \in \{ 1, \dots,6 \}$$Then:

$\begin{matrix}
B & c_B & b & P_1 & P_2 & P_3 & P_4 & P_5 & P_5 & \theta & \\
P_1 & -5 & 3 & 1 & 1 & 7 & 2 & 0 & 0 & \frac{3}{7} &L_1 \\
P_5 & 0 & 8 & 0 & 1 & 17 & 7 & 1 & 0 & \frac{8}{17} & L_2\\
P_6 & 0 & 2 & 0 & 0 & 6 & 3 & 0 &1 & \frac{1}{3} &L_3 \\
& z & 0 & -5 & 10 & -7 & 3 & 0 & 0 & & L_4
\end{matrix}$

$|-7|> |-5|$ so $P_3$ gets in the basis and $P_6$ gets out of the basis.

Then we get the following tableau:

$\begin{matrix}
P_1 & -5 & \frac{2}{3} & 1 & 1 & 0 & -\frac{3}{2} & 0 & -\frac{7}{6} & &L_1'=L_1-7L_3' \\
P_5 & 0 & \frac{7}{3} & 0 & 1 & 0 & -\frac{3}{2} & 1 & -\frac{17}{6} & & L_2'=L_2-17L_3'\\
P_3 & -7 & \frac{1}{3} & 0 & 0 & 1 & \frac{1}{2} & 0 &\frac{1}{6} & &L_3'=\frac{L_3}{6} \\
& z & \frac{7}{3} & -5 & 10 & 0 & \frac{13}{2} & 0 & \frac76 & & L_4'=L_4+7L_3'
\end{matrix}$Have I maybe done something wrong? Because from the last tableau we get that $P_1$ gets out of the basis and $P_1$ gets in the basis... (Tmi)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey evinda! (Smile)

I see that you introduced $x_5$ and $x_6$.
But aren't the corresponding equations equalities instead of inequalities? (Wondering)
evinda said:
Have I maybe done something wrong? Because from the last tableau we get that $P_1$ gets out of the basis and $P_1$ gets in the basis... (Tmi)

I didn't check your calculations, but I think $P_1$ isn't properly in the basis yet.
We should still do $L_4'' = L_4 + 5L_1'$. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
Hey evinda! (Smile)

I see that you introduced $x_5$ and $x_6$.
But aren't the corresponding equations equalities instead of inequalities? (Wondering)

I thought that we have to use artificial variables... Is there an other way to solve the problem without introducing other variables? (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
I didn't check your calculations, but I think $P_1$ isn't properly in the basis yet.
We should still do $L_4'' = L_4 + 5L_1'$. (Nerd)

But what column do we then remove now that we can't use $\theta$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
I thought that we have to use artificial variables... Is there an other way to solve the problem without introducing other variables? (Thinking)

We only introduce artificial variables for inequalities.
That's to turn them into equalities.
So if we have for instance $x_1+ 2x_2 \le 5$, we turn it into $x_1+2x_2 + x_3 = 5$.
But if we already have an equality, like $x_1+ 2x_2 = 5$, there's nothing to do. (Nerd)

But what column do we then remove now that we can't use $\theta$ ? (Thinking)

First we have to have a basis before we can (or should) move from basis to basis.
$P_1$ is not in the basis yet, since its column still has a non-zero entry in the bottom row. (Nerd)

Then we have this matrix:
$ \begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1 & 7 & 2 & | & 3\\
0 & 1 & 17 & 7 & | & 8\\
0 & 0 & 6 & 3 & | & 2
\end{bmatrix}$How can we find the basic variables given that the identity matrix doesn't appear? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Then we have this matrix:
$ \begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1 & 7 & 2 & | & 3\\
0 & 1 & 17 & 7 & | & 8\\
0 & 0 & 6 & 3 & | & 2
\end{bmatrix}$

How can we find the basic variables given that the identity matrix doesn't appear? (Thinking)

There are no basic variables until we create them.
To create a basic variable, we need a column that contains only a single non-zero entry.
We have to do row-reductions to achieve that. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
There are no basic variables until we create them.
To create a basic variable, we need a column that contains only a single non-zero entry.
We have to do row-reductions to achieve that. (Nerd)

I see... But what else could we do expect from the operations that I have already done? (Thinking)

evinda said:
$\begin{matrix}
P_1 & -5 & \frac{2}{3} & 1 & 1 & 0 & -\frac{3}{2} & 0 & -\frac{7}{6} & &L_1'=L_1-7L_3' \\
P_5 & 0 & \frac{7}{3} & 0 & 1 & 0 & -\frac{3}{2} & 1 & -\frac{17}{6} & & L_2'=L_2-17L_3'\\
P_3 & -7 & \frac{1}{3} & 0 & 0 & 1 & \frac{1}{2} & 0 &\frac{1}{6} & &L_3'=\frac{L_3}{6} \\
& z & \frac{7}{3} & -5 & 10 & 0 & \frac{13}{2} & 0 & \frac76 & & L_4'=L_4+7L_3'
\end{matrix}$

Have I maybe done something wrong? Because from the last tableau we get that $P_1$ gets out of the basis and $P_1$ gets in the basis... (Tmi)

evinda said:
I see... But what else could we do expect from the operations that I have already done? (Thinking)

You turned $P_3$ and $P_5$ into basic variables, but you did not finish with $P_1$ yet. (Smirk)

I like Serena said:
You turned $P_3$ and $P_5$ into basic variables, but you did not finish with $P_1$ yet. (Smirk)

So without the artificial variables which were wrong we have the following tableau, right?$\begin{matrix}
B & c_B & b & P_1 & P_2 & P_3 & P_4 & \theta & & \\
P_1 & 5 & 3 & 1 & 1 & 7 & 2 & & &L_1 \\
& & 8 & 0 & 1 & 17 & 7 & & & L_2\\
& & 2 & 0 & 0 & 6 & 3 & & & L_3 \\
& z & 0 & -5 & 10 & -7 & 3 & & & L_4
\end{matrix}$So $P_1$ is already in the basis, isn't it? So now we can pick $P_3$ to get in the basis. Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So without the artificial variables which were wrong we have the following tableau, right?$\begin{matrix}
B & c_B & b & P_1 & P_2 & P_3 & P_4 & \theta & & \\
P_1 & 5 & 3 & 1 & 1 & 7 & 2 & & &L_1 \\
& & 8 & 0 & 1 & 17 & 7 & & & L_2\\
& & 2 & 0 & 0 & 6 & 3 & & & L_3 \\
& z & 0 & -5 & 10 & -7 & 3 & & & L_4
\end{matrix}$So $P_1$ is already in the basis, isn't it? So now we can pick $P_3$ to get in the basis. Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

Just looked it up and according to wiki $P_1$ is already called a basic variable.
Still, to properly find the optimized solution, we should still zero out the $-5$ in the bottom row. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Just looked it up, and according to wiki $P_1$ is already called a basic variable .
Still, to properly find the optimized solution, we should still zero out the $-5$ in the bottom row. (Thinking)

Could you explain it further to me why we have to zero out the $-5$ in the bottom row? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Could you explain it further to me why we have to zero out the $-5$ in the bottom row? (Thinking)

To find the optimal solution, we need to eliminate all negative entries from the bottom row.
As it is now, $x_1$ still gives a contribution that ensures that the objective function will not attain its maximum. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
To find the optimal solution, we need to eliminate all negative entries from the bottom row.
As it is now, $x_1$ still gives a contribution that ensures that the objective function will not attain its maximum. (Nerd)

So now do we try to find simultaneously both the basic variables and the optimal solution? (Thinking)

Also what can we do so that $P_3$ gets in the basis? Now we cannot use the pivot since we just have one column in the basis... (Sweating)

evinda said:
So now do we try to find simultaneously both the basic variables and the optimal solution? (Thinking)

Also what can we do so that $P_3$ gets in the basis? Now we cannot use the pivot since we just have one column in the basis... (Sweating)

What do you mean that we cannot use the pivot, or that we cannot get $P_3$ in the basis? :confused:

I like Serena said:
What do you mean that we cannot use the pivot, or that we cannot get $P_3$ in the basis? :confused:

We can't use the procedure we use when we apply the simlex method, where we use $\theta$ to determine which column gets in the basis and then we divide the line at which the pivot is by the pivot and so on...

evinda said:
We can't use the procedure we use when we apply the simlex method, where we use $\theta$ to determine which column gets in the basis and then we divide the line at which the pivot is by the pivot and so on...

How do you use $\theta$ to determine the column? (Wondering)

I thought we were selecting the column based on a negative entry in the bottom row. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
How do you use $\theta$ to determine the column? (Wondering)

We are looking for the smallest value of $\theta$ and the column of the basis that corresponds to this row gets out of the basis, or not? (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
I thought we were selecting the column based on a negative entry in the bottom row. (Thinking)

Yes, the column $P_j$ such that $|z_j-c_j|= \max \{ |z_k-c_k|: z_k-c_k<0\}$ gets in the basis.

- - - Updated - - -

evinda said:
Yes, the column $P_j$ such that $|z_j-c_j|= \max \{ |z_k-c_k|: z_k-c_k<0\}$ gets in the basis.

So in this case we apply this and simultaneously find the basic variables, right? (Thinking)

evinda said:
We are looking for the smallest value of $\theta$ and the column of the basis that corresponds to this row gets out of the basis, or not? (Thinking)

So in this case we apply this and simultaneously find the basic variables, right? (Thinking)

Right. (Nod)
More specifically, first we select the column based on a negative entry in the bottom row.
And then we select the row based on the corresponding values of $\theta$. (Nerd)

In this case we would select the column $P_1$.
And we would select the top row, which is the only possibility.
And indeed, $P_1$ is already in the basis, and it stays in the basis - there is no change in the basis.
However, we still need to eliminate the $-5$ in the bottom row.
Then we can see if there will be a new negative entry. (Thinking)

The initial matrix was this: $\begin{matrix}
B & c_B & b & P_1 & P_2 & P_3 & P_4 & \theta & \\
& & 3 & 1 & 1 & 7 & 2 & & L_1 \\
& & 2 & -2 & -1 & 3 & 3 & & L_2\\
& & 4 & 2 & 2 & 8 & 1 & & L_3\\
& z & 0 & -5 & 10 & -7 & 3 & & L_4
\end{matrix}$

Since $|-7|> |-5|$ don't we have to put firstly $P_3$ in the basis? (Thinking)

Sure.

I like Serena said:
Sure.

So now do we do whatever possible operations to get $\begin{bmatrix}
1\\
0\\
\end{bmatrix}$ at the column $P_3$?

For example $L_1'=L_1-2L_2, L_2'=L_2-3L_1'$ ? (Thinking)

I think that we have to use the the two-phase method.

We introduce artificial variables:

$$- \max (-5x_1+10x_2-7x_3+3x_4) \\ x_1+x_2+7x_3+2x_4+x_5=3 \\ -2x_1-x_2+3x_3+3x_4+x_6=2 \\ 2x_1+2x_2+8x_3+x_4+x_7=4 \\ x_i \geq 0, i=1,2, \dots, 7$$

At the first phase, we solve the linear programming problem $\min (x_5+x_6+x_7)$ under the new restrictions and at the second phase the initial problem, for which we will have found from the first phase a basic feasible solution.
Then I thought that the initial simplex tableau of the first phase would be the following:$\begin{matrix}
B & c_B & b & P_1 & P_2 & P_3 & P_4 & P_5 & P_6 & P_7 & \theta & \\
P_5 & -1 & 3 & 1 & 1 & 7 & 2 & 1 & 0 & 0 & & L_1\\
P_6 & -1 & 2 & -2 & -1 & 3 & 3 & 0 & 1 & 0 & & L_2\\
P_7 & -1 & 4 & 2 & 2 & 8 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 1 & & L_3\\
& z & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 1 & 1 & & L_4
\end{matrix}$But I found that the following is the initial tableau. How do we get the $z_k-c_k$ values?

View attachment 5129

Attachments

• 12527593_764158423728836_610062995_n.jpg
    12527593_764158423728836_610062995_n.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Related to Solve problem- Identity matrix

What is an identity matrix?

An identity matrix is a square matrix that has 1s on the main diagonal and 0s in all other positions. It is denoted by the letter I and has the property that when multiplied by any other square matrix, it results in the same matrix.

Why is the identity matrix important?

The identity matrix is important because it serves as the equivalent of the number 1 in matrix multiplication. It maintains the size and shape of the original matrix when multiplied and is also used in solving systems of linear equations.

How do you create an identity matrix?

An identity matrix can be created by starting with a square matrix of any size and replacing all values on the main diagonal with 1s, while leaving all other values as 0s. Another way to create an identity matrix is by using the identity matrix function in a programming language or software.

What is the inverse of an identity matrix?

The inverse of an identity matrix is the identity matrix itself. This is because when an identity matrix is multiplied by its inverse, the result is the original identity matrix. In other words, the inverse of I is I.

How is the identity matrix used in solving systems of equations?

The identity matrix is used in solving systems of equations by being used as a coefficient matrix in Gaussian elimination or other matrix operations. It helps to simplify the equations and make them easier to solve by hand or with the use of software.