Solve Quadratic Identities: 81x^4 - 63x^2 + 10 = 0

In summary, the equation x = + - sqroot 2/9 can be solved for x by setting 9x2 equal to each solution of y.
zebra1707

Homework Statement

By substituting y for 9x^2 solve 81x^4 - 63x^2 + 10 = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at a solution is:

y^2 - 7y + 10
(y-2)(y-5)

therefore y = 2 y = 5 Can someone double check this?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
That's correct. Now solve for x by setting 9x2 equal to each solution of y.

Many thanks for the reply?

Is this to check the solution?

It just seemed to easy for some reason - maths is not my strong point, might I add.

Cheers

Bohrok said:
That's correct. Now solve for x by setting 9x2 equal to each solution of y.

Oh I see - are you then saying

9x^2 = 2
9x = +- Sqroot 2
x = + - Sqroot 2/9

9x^2 = 5
9x = +- Sqroot 5
x= + - Sqroot 5/9

Cheers

Yes that is correct :smile:
You can even check for yourself by substituing those x values back into the original quadratic equation. You should find they work.

The only reason it asked you to substitute [tex]y=9x^2[/tex] into the equation [tex]81x^4 - 63x^2 + 10 = 0[/tex] is because it makes it more simple and easy to see how it should be solved.

Rather than substituing, you could've always factorized it as so:
[tex]81x^4-63x^2+10=(9x^2-2)(9x^2-5)=0[/tex]

zebra1707 said:
Oh I see - are you then saying

9x^2 = 2
9x = +- Sqroot 2
x = + - Sqroot 2/9

9x^2 = 5
9x = +- Sqroot 5
x= + - Sqroot 5/9

Cheers

√(ab) = √(a)√(b) ≠ a√(b) which is what you did between the first and second lines above.

You need to divide by 9 first, then take the square root of both sides.
[tex]9x^2 = 2 \rightarrow x^2 = \frac{2}{9} \rightarrow x = \pm\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}} = \pm\frac{\sqrt{2}}{3}[/tex]

Or take the square root of both sides completely, then solve for x
[tex]9x^2 = 2 \rightarrow \sqrt{9x^2} = \sqrt{2} \rightarrow 3x = \pm\sqrt{2} \rightarrow x = \pm\frac{\sqrt{2}}{3}[/tex]

Oh when I skimmed through it I read sqroot 2/9 as [tex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{9}}[/tex]. I didn't believe simplifying was top priority.
Thanks for spotting that Bohrok.

Hi there

Many thanks for both your assistance - it is greatly appreciated.

Cheers P

Related to Solve Quadratic Identities: 81x^4 - 63x^2 + 10 = 0

1. What is a quadratic identity?

A quadratic identity is an equation that can be written in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is a variable. It is called a "quadratic" identity because the variable is raised to the second power.

2. How do I solve a quadratic identity?

To solve a quadratic identity, you can use the quadratic formula or factor the equation. The quadratic formula is x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are the constants in the equation. Factoring involves finding two numbers that when multiplied, equal the constant term (c) and when added, equal the coefficient of the x term (b).

3. What is the solution to the given quadratic identity: 81x^4 - 63x^2 + 10 = 0?

The solutions to this quadratic identity are x = 1/3 and x = 1/9. These solutions can be found by factoring the equation into (9x^2 - 2)(9x^2 - 5) = 0 and solving for x.

4. Can a quadratic identity have complex solutions?

Yes, a quadratic identity can have complex solutions. This occurs when the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) in the quadratic formula is negative. The solutions will then be in the form of complex numbers.

5. How can solving quadratic identities be useful in real-world applications?

Solving quadratic identities can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, in physics, quadratic identities can be used to solve for the trajectory of a projectile. In finance, they can be used to calculate the profit or loss in a quadratic cost function.