Solve Radiation Problem: Find Temp as Function of Time

In summary, the conversation was about finding an equation for the temperature of a satellite with a sensor facing towards Earth and the Sun, with LW absorptivity of 0.8 and SW absorptivity of 0.2. The suggested equation was m*c*(dT/dt)=A*omega*T^4, where A=area and m=mass, but the mass may be negligible. It was also mentioned to consider the orientation of the satellite when calculating areas for absorption and emission of light.
Physics-101

Homework Statement

We have a sensor onboard a satellite that is faced towards Earth, from the Sun. The LW absorptivity is 0.8 (a_LW) and SW is 0.2 (a_SW).
I need to find a equation for the temperature as a function of time. Given datas is the Area=0.3 m^2 and Specific Heat of 4 J/K

Homework Equations

See below.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that I need to calculate the equilibrium temperature, which I did by using T=((a_sw/a_LW)*(Fs/omega))^1/4,
Fs=solar flux=1368 W/m^2 and omega= Stefan-Boltsmann constant.

Later, one equation that I have in mind for the temperature as a function of time is:
m*c*(dT/dt)=A*omega*T^4 , where A= area and m= mass. The sensor might be really small, so the mass m is negligible (?). What should I do now, I'm stuck.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics-101 said:
Later, one equation that I have in mind for the temperature as a function of time is:
m*c*(dT/dt)=A*omega*T^4 , where A= area and m= mass. The sensor might be really small, so the mass m is negligible (?).
A negligible mass is equivalent to a satellite that is always at its equilibrium temperature .

You'll have different areas for absorption of sunlight and emission of infrared light, and those areas depend on the orientation of the satellte.

What is radiation and why is it a problem?

Radiation is the emission of energy through particles or waves. It is a problem because it can have harmful effects on living organisms and the environment.

What factors affect the temperature as a function of time in a radiation problem?

The factors that affect temperature as a function of time in a radiation problem include the intensity and duration of the radiation, the material's heat capacity, and the material's thermal conductivity.

How can I solve a radiation problem to find temperature as a function of time?

To solve a radiation problem, you will need to use equations and principles from thermodynamics and heat transfer. You will also need to know the material's properties and the specific conditions of the problem.

What are some common techniques used to solve radiation problems?

Some common techniques used to solve radiation problems include using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element analysis, and analytical methods, such as the Green's function or separation of variables.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when dealing with radiation problems?

Yes, it is important to follow safety protocols and guidelines when dealing with radiation problems. This may include wearing protective gear, following proper handling procedures, and minimizing exposure to radiation.