Solve Steiner's Theorem Homework: 2 Thin Bars of Mass M, Length L

• Thread starter SchroedingersLion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the first approach yields a wrong value for the moment of inertia, while the second yields the correct value.
SchroedingersLion

Homework Statement

Assume we have two thin bars of length L and mass M. The moment of inertia of one bar with respect to axis through center of gravity of said bar is ##I=\frac {mL^2}{12}##. The two bars stick together at their ends, forming a right angle.
What's the moment of inertia of the whole system with respect to that point?

Homework Equations

I saw two different approaches, but I don't know, why one of them is wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

First approach:
I can write the total ##I_{tot}## with respect to a given axis as the sum of the two moments of inertias of the separate bars with respect to said axis. So with respect to an axis going through the point where they stick together, let's call it 'O', I can write:
##I^O_{tot}=I^O_{1}+I^O_{2}##
For each ##I^O_{i}## I can write ##I^O_{i}=I + Md^2## with d being the distance between center of gravity of one bar to the point O, i.e. ##d=\frac {L}{2}##.
Inserting everything, I get ##I^O_{tot}=2I+ 2Md^2 =...=\frac {7}{6}ML^2##

Now, the second approach.
In an earlier exercise, one was to calculate the center of gravity coordinates of the whole system. Using a coordinate system whose axes follow the bars from point 'O', the coordinates of the center of gravity should be ##\vec r_{cog}=L * (\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2})##.

Now I want to use Steiner's theorem to first calculate the moment of inertia of the whole system with respect to an axis through ##\vec r_{cog}##, i.e. ##I^{cog}_{tot}##, and then use it again to calculate ##I^O_{tot}## again from there.

##I^{cog}_{tot}=I^{cog}_1 + I^{cog}_2 =I_1 + Md^2 + I_2 + Md^2##
Here, d is the distance of the center of gravity of one bar to the center of gravity of the whole system. But this should again simply be ##\frac {L}{2}##, just like earlier!
But then I would get ##I^{cog}_{tot}=2I+ 2Md^2 (=I^O_{tot}## c.f. above).
If I used Steiner's theorem now to get ##I^{O}_{tot}## from here, I would get a larger value than in my first approach.

Does anyone see my error?SL

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SchroedingersLion said:
the coordinates of the center of gravity should be ##\vec r_{cog}=L * (\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2})##.
Really ?

BvU said:
Really ?
Hmm... I would write the mass density as ##\rho(\vec r)= \frac M L ( \delta(x) 1_{[0,L]}(y) + \delta(y) 1_{[0,L]}(x))##

Then the center of gravity is given by ##\vec r_{cog}=\frac 1 M \int_{x=0}^L \int_{y=0}^L \vec r \rho(\vec r) \, dx \, dy##.
Do you agree up until here?

I agree. But I simply take the two centers of mass and find the 'average'

BvU said:
I agree. But I simply take the two centers of mass and find the 'average'
Makes sense, but then I solved the integral wrong...

$$\vec r_{cog}=\frac 1 M \int_{x=0}^L \int_{y=0}^L \vec r \rho(\vec r) \, dy \, dx \\=\frac 1 L (\int_{x=0}^L \int_{y=0}^L \delta(x) (x,y) \, dy \, dx + \int_{x=0}^L \int_{y=0}^L \delta(y) (x,y) \, dy \, dx) \\= \frac 1 L (\int_{x=0}^L \delta(x) (xL, \frac {1}{2}L^2) \, dx + \int_{x=0}^L (x,0) \, dx ) \\= \frac 1 L ( (0, \frac {1}{2}L^2) + (\frac 1 2 L^2,0) ) \\= L * (\frac 1 2, \frac 1 2) \neq L * (\frac 1 4, \frac 1 4)$$

Isn't that for a plate instead of for two bars ? [edit] oops, too quick. Let me read first :smile:

Ah, you want to divide by 2M, being the mass of the whole thing.

Likes SchroedingersLion
Right! So I get ## L*(\frac 1 4, \frac 1 4)##.
So if my two approaches from above are equivalent, I should get the same result, right?

Think so, yes.

Doesn't work for me.

First approach yields (the value from first post was wrong):
##I^O_{tot}=2I+ 2Md^2=\frac {ML^2}{6} + 2M \frac {L^2} {4}= \frac 2 3 ML^2##

Now second approach:
Total moment of inertia with respect to center of gravity at ##\vec r_{cog}=L*(\frac 1 4, \frac 1 4)##:
$$I^{cog}_{tot}=2I + 2Md^2\\ = \frac {ML^2}{6} +2M |(0, \frac L 2) - (\frac L 4, \frac L 4)|^2 \\
=\frac {ML^2}{6} +2M \frac {2L^2}{16} \\
=\frac {ML^2}{6} + \frac {ML^2}{4}\\
=\frac {5} {12} ML^2 +\frac {3} {12} ML^2 = \frac 2 3 ML^2$$

Lol. I did it correctly in LaTeX but wrong on my paper. So it really is the same. Man, I am tired now...

Thank you BvU for your help!

edit: wait. something is off...
It's not the same. Now I would have to use Steiner again to get to ##I^{O}_{tot}##. Than I would have different results.

edit2: Ok, found the error it is ##I^{cog}_{tot}=...= \frac {5}{12} ML^2##
and then, let's see...

Ok, with ##I^{cog}_{tot}= \frac {5}{12} ML^2## it follows via Steiner: $$I^{O}_{tot}=I^{cog}_{tot}+2Md^2\\
= \frac {5}{12} ML^2 +2M |(\frac L 4, \frac L 4)|^2 \\
=\frac {5}{12} ML^2 + 2M 2*\frac {L^2}{16}\\
=ML^2 (\frac {5}{12}+ \frac{1}{4}) = \frac 2 3 ML^2$$

Now it's ok. Sorry for the confusion, I must say that I am in a bit of a hurry today...

Thanks again!

You're welcome. Take it easy: if you have the luxury of time, laying something aside and picking it up later is often quite useful. Works like a dream for my sudoku puzzles :wink:.

Likes SchroedingersLion

1. What is Steiner's Theorem and how does it apply to this homework?

Steiner's Theorem states that the moment of inertia of a composite body can be calculated by adding the individual moments of inertia of its parts and the products of their masses and the square of their distances from a given axis. In this homework, we are using Steiner's Theorem to calculate the moment of inertia of two thin bars of mass M and length L.

2. What is the equation for calculating the moment of inertia using Steiner's Theorem?

The equation is I = Icm + Md2, where I is the moment of inertia, Icm is the moment of inertia about the center of mass, M is the mass, and d is the distance between the center of mass and the given axis.

3. How do you determine the center of mass of the two thin bars?

To determine the center of mass, we need to divide the total mass of the two bars by the total length, which gives us the mass per unit length. Then, we can use this value to calculate the distance of the center of mass from one end of each bar. The final center of mass will be the average of these two distances.

4. Can you provide an example of how to solve this homework problem?

Sure, let's say we have two thin bars with masses of 2kg and 3kg, and lengths of 1m and 2m respectively. The total mass is 5kg and the total length is 3m. To find the center of mass, we divide 5kg by 3m, giving us a mass per unit length of 1.67kg/m. The distance from the end of the first bar to its center of mass is 0.5m (1m/2), and the distance from the end of the second bar to its center of mass is 1m (2m/2). Therefore, the center of mass for the two bars is located at 0.75m (average of 0.5m and 1m) from the end of the first bar. We can then use this value to calculate the moment of inertia using the equation in question 2.

5. What are some real-world applications of Steiner's Theorem?

Steiner's Theorem is commonly used in engineering and physics to calculate the moment of inertia of composite objects. It is used in designing structures such as bridges, buildings, and vehicles, as well as in analyzing the motion of objects rotating around an axis. It is also used in the field of sports, such as in determining the moment of inertia of a discus or a javelin.