Solve the a/b and 10/11 Problem: Understanding Quantity Relationships

• MHB
  • Thread starter CharlesLin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from a study guide where the answer choices are based on comparing the values of two fractions, a/b and 10/11. The individual tries to solve the problem by converting the fractions to decimal numbers and drawing a visual representation, but is still uncertain of the correct answer. They also mention using LATEX to solve the problem. After considering various scenarios, it is concluded that the relationship between a/b and 10/11 cannot be determined from the given information.
CharlesLin
this is a nother problem from my study guide.
it starts with a statement
View attachment 4915

A) a/b

B) 10/11
based on this information you have to choose an answer:

a)quantity A is greater
b)quantity B is greater
c)the two are equal
d)the relationship can not be determined from the information given what I first try was was to change every number into a decimal number. for example 9/10= .9 and 11/12=.916. Then I know that a/b is between .9 and .910 but that did't helped because when I calculated 10/11=.90909 the decimal value is also between .9 and .916. then I'm not sure if the answer is d) the relationship can not be determinde...I suspect this is the answer but I'm not entirely shure.

how would you solve this problem?

I also try to picture the solution drawing the line where every fraction would be but I wasn't able to pictured well. Moreover, I had some problems trying to use LATEX there is any tutorial or guide to use it?

Attachments

• Capture1.GIF
    Capture1.GIF
    552 bytes · Views: 53
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If it would hold that $\frac{a}{b}> \frac{10}{11}$ then it would have to hold $\frac{10}{11}< \frac{11}{12} \Rightarrow 10 \cdot 12< 11 \cdot 11$, which is true.

If it would hold $\frac{a}{b}< \frac{10}{11}$ then it would have to hold that $\frac{9}{10}< \frac{10}{11} \Rightarrow 99<100$, which again is true.It also holds that $\frac{9}{10}< \frac{10}{11}< \frac{11}{12}$.

Thus I think that we cannot determine the relationship between $\frac{a}{b}$ and $\frac{10}{11}$ from the given information.

I see now
I feel more confident saying that D) is the answer.

1. What is "Looks simple but i'm stuck" referring to?

"Looks simple but i'm stuck" is a common phrase used when someone is facing a problem or task that appears to be easy at first glance, but is actually difficult to solve or complete.

2. Why do people often get stuck on things that seem simple?

People can get stuck on seemingly simple tasks for a variety of reasons. It could be due to lack of knowledge or experience, unclear instructions, or unexpected complications that arise.

3. How can one overcome being stuck on something that appears simple?

One way to overcome being stuck on something simple is to take a step back and reassess the problem. Sometimes, a fresh perspective can reveal a solution or a different approach. It can also be helpful to seek advice or assistance from others.

4. Can being stuck on something simple be a sign of intelligence?

Yes, being stuck on something simple can actually be a sign of intelligence. It shows that a person is self-aware and willing to acknowledge when they don't know something. It also means they are actively trying to find a solution and not giving up easily.

5. How can getting stuck on something simple be beneficial?

Getting stuck on something simple can be beneficial because it forces a person to think critically and problem solve. It also allows them to learn from their mistakes and develop new skills. Ultimately, overcoming a simple challenge can lead to personal growth and development.