How to picture a radial field around a 3d object?

In summary: Equipotential labelling should decrease from that following 1/r relationship.From the equation for surface potential, the equipotential labelling should decrease as the radius of the sphere gets smaller. In this case, the equipotential labelling is 15000 V at a radius of 5 cm from the surface.
jackiepollock
Homework Statement
The problem is asking me to imagine a radial field around a Van de Graaff generator and finding the potential values and electric field strength in varying distances from the surface.
Relevant Equations
For electric field strength:E= Q/4πϵ0r^2

For potential :E= Q/4πϵ0r
Hello!

First off, for a), I am not too sure how to picture a radial field around a 3d object. I know that this spherical metal dome is basically a enlarged version of an atom, but since with problems on radial field around an atom, I don't have to consider its diameter, I'm not sure how the diameter of 30cm should make a difference to picturing the radial field.

for b),
The answer says: equipotentials concentric with dome surface; increasing separation of equipotentials; surface voltage is 15 000 V, so equipotential labelling should decrease from that following 1/r relationship. I am not too sure how this 15000V is calculated.

for c)
I tried 8.99 x 10^9 x 2.5 x 10^-7/(0.05)^2, which is 899000 Vm^-1, different from the answer provided, being 56000 Vm^-1. What did I do wrong?

Thank you so much for the help!

A Van de Graaff generator is charged with 2.5 x 10-7 coulombs in a.png

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
First: don't use the same symbol for field and potential!
The spherical conductor can be treated (from outside) as if it was a point charge located at the centre of the sphere. So for the surface voltage, use the potential equation with r = the radius of the sphere.
What is r at a distance of 5 cm from the surface?

• Informative
Likes Delta2, DaveC426913 and jackiepollock
mjc123 said:
First: don't use the same symbol for field and potential!
The spherical conductor can be treated (from outside) as if it was a point charge located at the centre of the sphere. So for the surface voltage, use the potential equation with r = the radius of the sphere.
What is r at a distance of 5 cm from the surface?
Got it! I've tried what you said and gotten the right answers. Thank you so much!

Likes Delta2
mjc123 said:
The spherical conductor can be treated (from outside) as if it was a point charge located at the centre of the sphere.
There is a caveat that can be important. A spherical object can safely be treated as a point charge if its charge distribution is spherically symmetric. A spherical conductor will relax to have a uniform charge distribution if there is no external field causing an asymmetry.

One reasonably assumes that no very large asymmetric external field is present in this case. So no significant asymmetry in charge is to be expected. So the caveat is unimportant here.

1. How do I visualize a radial field around a 3D object?

To visualize a radial field around a 3D object, you can use vector field visualization techniques such as streamlines, vector plots, or color mapping. These techniques will help you see the direction and strength of the field lines around the object.

2. What is a radial field?

A radial field is a type of vector field where the field lines radiate outward from a central point. This type of field is commonly seen in objects with spherical or cylindrical symmetry, such as planets or wires.

3. How can I create a radial field around a 3D object?

To create a radial field around a 3D object, you can use mathematical equations that describe the field, such as the inverse square law. You can also use computer software to simulate and visualize the field around the object.

4. What factors affect the strength of a radial field?

The strength of a radial field is affected by the magnitude and distribution of the source of the field, as well as the distance from the source. In general, the closer you are to the source, the stronger the field will be.

5. How does a radial field behave around a 3D object?

A radial field behaves differently depending on the shape and symmetry of the 3D object. In general, the field lines will radiate outward from the object and become more concentrated near the surface. The field lines will also follow the curvature of the object, resulting in a more complex pattern for non-spherical objects.