Solve the problem involving linear programming

In summary, the conversation discusses the optimization of a function with two variables, x and y, with x representing hours and y representing products. The function is optimized at x=45 and y=6.25, but it is noted that products can only take natural numbers and there is no reason to expect integer-value answers. The example of liquid products is given to illustrate this point. The final step is to round down to the nearest integer, giving y=6 and the objective function = 1. The solution is deemed correct, as products can also be in liquid or gaseous form.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached
Relevant Equations
linear programming
Find question and solution here;

1649926836322.png

1649926878229.png

The initial steps were a bit confusing to me...i decided to use hours instead of minutes ...only then did it become more clear to me. See my graph,

1649926968509.png

Ok i follow that the function would be optimised at ##x=45## and ##y=6.25## ...now to my question...we cannot have ##y=6.25## products...a product can only take natural numbers, ##1,2,3...##
I can follow that the objective function would be ##=1.25## this is clear...only on the part of ##y=6.25##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Ok i follow that the function would be optimised at ##x=45## and ##y=6.25## ...now to my question...we cannot have ##y=6.25## products...a product can only take natural numbers, ##1,2,3...##
I can follow that the objective function would be ##=1.25## this is clear...only on the part of ##y=6.25##.
There is no reason to expect integer-value answers

For example, exactly the same equations would apply if A and B were types of liquid with x and y representing the number of litres produced of each.

There is no reason why the optimal solution should give exact numbers of litres. In fact you would generally expect non-integer answers.

In your problem, as a final step, you might want to round-down to the nearest integer giving y=6 and the objective function = 1.

Likes chwala
True I had fixated my thinking solely on solid products...its true that the products could be of liquid or gaseous form... implying that the solution given is correct.

1. What is linear programming?

Linear programming is a mathematical method used to find the best solution to a problem with multiple constraints. It involves optimizing a linear objective function, subject to linear inequalities or equations.

2. What types of problems can be solved using linear programming?

Linear programming can be used to solve problems in various fields such as economics, finance, engineering, and operations research. It is commonly used to optimize resource allocation, production planning, and transportation logistics.

3. How does linear programming work?

Linear programming works by graphing the constraints and the objective function on a coordinate plane. The optimal solution is found at the intersection of the feasible region, which is the area where all constraints are satisfied, and the objective function line.

4. What are the steps involved in solving a linear programming problem?

The steps involved in solving a linear programming problem include formulating the problem, graphing the constraints and objective function, identifying the feasible region, finding the optimal solution, and interpreting the results to make a decision.

5. What are the limitations of linear programming?

Linear programming is limited to problems with linear constraints and objective functions. It also assumes that the variables involved are continuous and can take on any value within a given range. Additionally, it may not always provide the most practical or realistic solution.